"Why don't you run, you're used to that."

An icy blast chased the heat from my skin, freezing me to the chair. I knew the voice; the possibility was unthinkable. Sophie?

"You are full of surprises. Well, there are two choices on offer. Stay and battle or, retreat. Up to you."

No way. How was Sophie—the same person who had left me for dead—communicating outside of my dreams?

"You've got a nerve," Sam said disturbing the momentary lapse into weirdness.

The nerve of her more like. A red haze descended, arousing a fury I found hard to ignore.

I shot from my chair, sending it clattering across the floor. "Nerve? Who made you the judge?"slamming my hands on the tabletop and leaning over. Sam's mouth opened ready to answer. "No, your turn to listen. So what if I've avoided you, do I look like a takeaway item you can order at will. Strange, I thought friendship meant more to you than that. Guess I was wrong." A burning need to smile pushed against my clenched teeth. I denied myself the satisfaction.

"I. Well. So..." she said, mouth flapping open and shut.

What have I done? No way could I leave her gaping like a floundering fish.

"Don't disappoint me Eve. Not when you're showing such great promise."

Sophie. I knew it couldn't have been me. I'd never speak to Sam that way on purpose. Stop. Can't you see what you're doing?

"Making you stronger by all accounts. You must stand up for yourself."

Stand up for myself, you left me remember! Now go. In an instant, the chill evaporated.

A steady warmth radiated upwards from my toes and I smiled relieved. I glanced at my friends, their faces a picture of utter bewilderment. Keep. Mouth. Shut.

I wanted to tell them everything, then decided against the idea. Bravery never fitted me well and besides, not the best idea to go blabbering about a character from my dreams who'd taken possession of my mouth. Great way to end up on the next bus to crazy-land.

No, best to sort that out later. Alone.

"I'm sorry Sam, but my feelings count as well."

She offered no reply. I sank into an ocean of uncomfortable silence, waiting, hoping for someone to throw a lifeline. Michael, the one person I least expected, attempted to comfort me with a pained smile.

I swallowed the uncertainty blocking my throat. "Sam. Can we talk?"

She folded her arms in a protective barrier across her chest and heaved a reluctant sigh.

"Please?"

A second later, she stood from her chair and marched off towards the door. I watched her leave, catching sight of countless eyes staring my way. I looked to Jason for reassurance, taken aback by the expectant smile cemented on his face.

He stood from the table and his essence exploded in a blinding veil of sunshine-yellow. This is going to be juicy, his thought sounded in my head.

The sudden intrusion made me falter. Jason was one person whose thoughts tended to allude me. My eyes refocused from the glare and I took a step closer, focusing to listen while my skin tingled with static from his light. It seemed like he was eager for a front row seat, ready for the battle.

"Jason. Sit." Michael appeared in front of me.

"Damn, why can't we go?" Jason scraped his chair in one long screech across the floor and pouted.

"Okay, now you're embarrassing yourself. Shut up before you start crying." Michael smacked Jason hard on the back and pushed him down in his seat, then turned to me. "Go."

Sam was leaning one-shouldered against the wall, her head lowered as she kicked the chipped skirting board with her left foot. I closed the door behind me, my gaze now fixed on the luminescent orange of her shoe banging at the board.

The motion stopped. She cleared her throat and I glanced up. My insides twisted. Now I had her here, what was I supposed to do. I chewed at my thumb expecting it to soothe my nerves. Sam twiddled with a strand of hair, which had fallen from her ponytail. My throat tightened. I was alone, despite the fact she stood opposite me using one of her mind reading stares.

How deep would she go, though? Could she hear my inner thoughts? Could she hear me rambling away like a lunatic? God, I knew wasting time on those sites would cause a problem. Paranoia coated me like a second skin, and no way did Sam resemble a sideshow mind reader.

Say something for Christ sake!

"Well, talk about putting someone straight!" she said before my mouth had even opened. The familiar unrestricted smile I loved lit her face. "I've missed you Eve. Remind me not to upset you in future."

Her sudden kindness tilted me off balance. I had expected a verbal beat-down. A few choice words thrown in for good measure. No one shouted at Sam and survived unscathed. Then, who was I to argue.

"You remember that, okay?" Not knowing what else to say.

"I sure will." And she laughed.