chapter one

Just like the day i lost my parents, i was reading out in the garden. My black hair flowing gently in the wind. Some strands of hair fell in my face, limiting my vision as i read one of Mr. Bennet's books from his study. I had just finished the book and decided to go return it before i end up misplacing it somewhere in the house. It was a habit that wasn't a very good one. 

As i made my way into the study, I saw Mr. Bennet speaking with Mrs. bennet while sharpening his dagger. Attacks from the zombies has been incredibly high lately. 

With me being my curious self, I decided to listen in through the small opening in the door. 

"My dear Mr. Bennet. Have you heard that Netherfield Park is occupied again?" Mrs. Bennet had told him, a hint of happiness hidden in her eyes. 

"I have not." He replied, not looking up from his current activity. 

"But it is!" She returned. Mr. bennet made no answer.

"Do you not want to know who has taken it?" 

"I am quite busy at the moment but speak if you must." He spoke.

"Why Mrs. Long says that Netherfield is taken by a young man of large fortune. He had escaped London in a chaise and four just as the strange plague broke through the Manchester line." 

That caught my interest. I wandered who this strange man could be. 

"What is his name?" Mr. Bennet asked, glancing up at his wife. 

"Bingley!" She cried, "A single man of four or five thousand a year. What a fine thing for our girls!" 

I instantly knew what she was talking about. Although it sounded like Mr. Bennet didn't quite get the hint. 

"How so? Can he train them in the ways of swordsmanship and musketry?"

"How can you be so tiresome!" She paused briefly. "You must know i'm thinking about him marrying one of them." 

"Marriage? In times like these? Surly this Bingley has no such desire." 

I held back a giggle. He probably had a point. I know for sure i do not desire such a thing. Even though i am a year younger than Jane, I still am not too fond of the idea of being married off. Especially to someone where love isn't mutual. 

"Nonsense! It is very likely that he may fall in love in love with one of them and therefor you must have to visit him right away." 

"I see no occasion for that." He stated blandly. " Besides, we mustn't busy the roads more than it's absolutely necessary. We do not need to lose more horses and carriages to the unfortunate scourge that has so troubled our beloved Hertfordshire of late." 

"But consider your daughters!" She protested.

"I am, silly woman. I'd prefer them to be engaged in the deadly arts than clouded with dreams of marriage and fortune as you clearly are. Go and see this Bingley if you so desire to. Though i warn you that our girls have not much to offer. They are all silly and ignorant just like their mother with the exception of Lucy and Lizzy. Lizzy has somewhat more of the killer instinct and Jane shows no interest in men." 

"Mr. Bennet, how can you abuse your own children in such a way? You take delight in vexing me. You have no compassion for my poor nerves." 

Again i held back a giggle. 

"You mistake me my dear. I have a high respect for your nerves. I have heard of little else these last twenty years." 

At this point i decided to leave. There wasn't much else for me to hear. Although i had to admit i enjoyed Mr. Bennet's sarcastic side. He was an odd mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humor, reserve, and self-discipline. The business of Mr. Bennet was to keep us, his daughters, alive. Although the business of Mrs. Bennet was to get us married. 

With a smile upon my face, i decided to go back outside and re-read the book i held in my hand. I'd have to return it at a later date.