8. Frozen

Frosted air floated through Fig's lips as she stood staring at the gate that trapped her from her home. The temperature was gradually dropping even on this side of the fence, and she didn't know how long she had before Falu would completely ice over—slowly and painfully draining the life from her body. She stepped away from the gate and glanced up towards the sky. She couldn't figure out why the orbs inside the fence would ascend more quickly than those outside. From where she stood, only a part of the sky inside Zohrul was visible. The tall, nature-covered wall blocked most of her view, but from what she could see, it was dark. Only little pinholes of light from distant orbs could be seen.

She turned away from the entrance to Zohrul, and glanced out into the dead forest. Rubbing her arms to generate some heat, Fig started making her way down the trail and towards the cliff where she'd spotted the city below. Hey eyes constantly scanned the trees, hoping to spot the pile of clothing she'd removed earlier, but to her dismay, she found nothing. Giving up the search, she increased her speed, eager to outrun the rising orbs.

She continued running until she reached the cliff. By now, the sky was beginning to turn a dark blue, the balls of light climbing higher. With each passing minute, she increased her speed, matching her steps with her wildly pounding heart. She could see the end of the trail ahead, and blew out a breath of relief. Getting lost a second time had definitely crossed her mind, and she was grateful to see the familiar drop-off ahead.

She shuffled her way along the edge of the cliff, looking for the easiest way down. It wasn't until she spotted a narrow, jagged path trailing down the side of the cliff that her head lifted and her shoulders relaxed. Hungry for warmth, she quickly navigated her way down the winding walkway, a new sense of eagerness kicking into action.

Several valuable minutes passed before she reached flat land again. Her fingers shook with both anxiety and cold. She pulled them into a tight fist before blowing warm air into her cupped hands and rubbing them together.

The air was draining her flesh of warmth as it gradually fought to match Fig's body temperature to its own. She turned her gaze towards the sky, hating the heavy shadow of darkness that was beginning to blanket the planet.

She watched dusk give birth to night. A murky gloom settled into the atmosphere, and Fig's body began to ache with cold. No more time could be wasted. She began to run with every ounce of power her body contained. She was wheezing, her legs growing numb as they continued to lose energy, but she forced herself to keep going until she spotted another trail up ahead.

By now, her skin had nearly depleted its heat supply. Time was running out. With a burst of adrenaline, Fig made a run for the path, winding her way through the trees with the agility brought on by desperation. She could see the twinkling lights of the town ahead, but the level of chill in the air made getting there feel like an impossible feat.

Shivering uncontrollably, but unwilling to squander another second, she attempted to run the remaining distance. She barely noticed the ground coming to life in bursts of light with each step she took; she was too focused on the glow ahead that was intensifying as she grew closer. Her heart pumped wildly with exhaustion as it worked to send heat to Fig's frozen extremities. With stiff, numb legs, she finally reached the outskirts of the small town. The moment she realized she was close was the same moment she noticed the slight increase in temperature. A subtle warmth skimmed against her flesh, forcing goosebumps to erupt along her arms.

Even as she stumbled down the remainder of the path, her eyes began to close. She didn't have the energy to open them any longer, and she could sense light behind her lids. The mysterious glow provided much needed heat to her icy limbs. Fire skittered throw her veins, whether from the heat or the cold, Fig wasn't sure, but it  like a lullaby to her weary muscles. With a sigh of relief, she crumbled to the ground, soaking up the warmth that now seemed to surround her.