Chapter 16: The Confession

Start from the beginning

In a blink of an eye, I've stripped out of my clothing and have eagerly slipped into the dress. I sighed in contentment, it felt perfect. As I reached for my cloak, Scarlet spoke, halting my actions.

'You look gorgeous. Look in the mirror before you put the damn cloak on.' Scarlet suggested. At first, the idea itself didn't seem so bad. But then I hesitated. Should I really do this?

'Just look in the mirror. Stop being stingy. Live a little!' She snapped, catching me off guard. I rolled my eyes.

I just happened to have the most bossy and persistent wolf in history. Even so, I did as I was told.

With every hesitant step I took, I hung my head low with uncertainty. The whirlwind of emotions swirling within me was fathomless. Was there a hint of excitement? I thought meekly. Then came a surge of confidence and courage that bloomed within my depths and I willed myself to stand firm before the mirror.

Pushing my chin up high, I took in my reflection. My breath hitched in my throat as I studied my flawless, porcelain skin that glowed radiantly. The flowy, white dress accentuated my perfect curves and my glossy, honey blonde hair that hung freely down my shoulders.

'The angel within has taken over a bit. Hasn't it?' Scarlet mused. I beamed brightly in agreement and stared in awe at the reflection of my smile that seemed to make people lose all sense of space and time. A giggle escaped my perfectly shaped lips as I twirled around gracefully. Just for this once, I allowed my qualms to fade and my fears of danger to dissipate. Just for this once, I willed myself to feel like a normal, gleeful teenager. Just for this once, I freed myself from bleak thoughts and calamities.

But then, reality came crashing down on me. It was akin to someone dumping bitter cold water over my head. My temporary happiness was drained as I knew, I still needed to wear a cloak. I still needed to go back into my hiding ways. Sparing one last glance into the mirror, I turned my face from it.

Reaching for my cloak with frail fingers, I painfully cloaked myself from this world that never ceases to afflict misery upon me.

'Hey, don't be like that. We're still going to the ball like everyone else, right?' Scar comforted. The edge of my lips quirked up as I enjoyed the moment where Scarlet reveal the sweet, delicate side of herself.

'Yeah, you're right.' I whispered, a wistful sigh slipping from my lips. With that being said, I exited the room. As my feet caressed the polished wooden floors, I heard a flurry of activity on the floor below me. The constant bustling and incessant chatter downstairs indicated that the entire assemblage of teenage werewolves was present.

Their clamour made my footsteps slow their pace.

What would they think when they see me like this? My heart plummeted as I pondered upon the worst and I swallowed hard. Fisting my clammy hands together, I tried to ignore the flutter of butterflies in my stomach. It caused me great discomfort. Nevertheless, I focused on the larger matter at hand. Will they think differently of me?

Despite how conservative I intend to be, my attire would undoubtedly rouse suspicion. I just hope it won't be the talk of the century. My thoughts soon drifted to Trent. How apparent. What mattered most was obviously his response, I thought tangibly.

Dismissing my qualms and foreboding thoughts, I descended down the meandering stairways with my hand gliding across the marble railing. As soon as I came within sights, sharp intakes of breath were to be heard, whether out of astonishment or admiration or jealousy. Suspenseful silence hung in the air for a moment. Gushes and enigmatic gossips then followed suit and I cringed in distaste of their reactions.

How I wished they viewed me as one of the average werewolves. But I knew I was delusional for even wishing upon it as it could never be granted. As soon as my feet skimmed the floor, I was showered with praises and charming compliments. I returned them with a bright smile of gratitude and weaved my way out of the unwavering stares of the crowd.