23

Callum, Jezzi, and Douglas were sitting in a booth eating ice cream. They were saddened from hearing about CJ's death. They were wearing their work uniforms.

"Do you...think that she knew about her virus?" Jezzi inquired

"'Course not--or else she would've said something. We're her friends after all." Callum expressed

"Noelle's been gone a really long time. Do you think she knows?" Doug asked

Jezzi looked puzzled but raised her spoon in the air. "To CJ, she's alive in our hearts."

The boys did the same and clinked spoons with her.

"Happy New Year, guys."

"Same here." Doug and Jezzi said in unison

Jezzi thinks quickly and looks worried. "Um, guys? What if...Noelle's dead too?"

Doug gasped. "You did not just say that, Jezzi Cortlen. Eat your ice cream."

"But--"

"Eat it!" Doug stated

"Okay, okay! I'm sorry."

"Apology accepted, now eat."

"But, Doug!"

"Eat!"

Callum couldn't help but chuckle as they bicker. 

Doug looked at him. "No spectators! You eat too."

"What? But--"

"No 'buts'."

Callum shared a glance with Jezzi. They both grabbed their spoons full of dessert and aimed them at their co-worker. He glared at the two. "Don't you dare--"

They flicked the spoons and Doug gasped, they chuckled. 

He glared. "And whose idea was that?"

Callum and Jezzi instantly pointed to each other.

    A Mortician was marking down the last of her inventory for the night. CICELY DIXON was the last name recorded. The woman draped a sheet over the dead teen, and slid her body into a wall of drawers. The Mortician looked at the ticking clock.

"Happy New Year." She said to herself. She hung up her leather apron and removed her latex gloves.

The woman grabbed her jacket and keys. She turned off the lights and locked the door. A thick dark smoke began to fill the room. A man appeared and dropped a backpack on the ground. He wrote CJ's full name on an envelope, and looked at the ticking clock. He smiled wickedly, and counted the seconds silently. The clock ticked three times. He heard what sounds like a gasp coming from the wall of drawers. He waved his hand and disappeared. Soon there was the sound of banging metal. Someone coughed, and a drawer slid open.

THE END.