CHAPTER ELEVEN

I woke up at 11:58. But instead of feeling like crap like before, I actually felt good. Cheery, even. This time I didn't wake up in a cold sweat because of a nightmare. Looks like it helps to talk about it, I thought. I ran my hands through the chaotic mess that was my hair. I sat up and stretched out my arms. But the good feeling was short-lived...

I'd decided to turn on the TV, just because the house was too quiet at this time of day. For some reason, I was curious about what was happening on the news, so I quickly turned the channel. But when I did, my eyes were instantaneously glued to the screen. A 16-year-old girl was found dead this morning. In the woods. The reporter was interviewing one of the cops that were at the scene. AND GUESS WHO SHE WAS INTERVIEWING?!

Christopher! I couldn't believe my eyes. "Officer Williamson, can you give us any details about the victim?" the reporter asks. I then focused my eyes on Chris. "Sierra Wilson," my brother began, "was found near the edge of St. Peter's Creek by two hikers at around 9:30 this morning. She had been stabbed to death." He was stone-cold calm when he spoke. And that was all I needed to hear.

I shut the TV off and ran upstairs, throwing on the first pair of clean clothes I could find. I raced to the bathroom, and fixed myself up so I looked presentable. Then I went back downstairs into the living room and grabbed my phone. That was when I realized I had a three texts from Christian. The first one said:

Christian: Oh my God, Skyler. I am so sorry to hear that. Yes, it really does suck. I don't think you're hallucinating. But just please know that I am here for you, whenever you need to talk about it. Know that I believe you, okay? You're not alone.

I read the next one:

Christian: Skyler?

Then the last one:

Christian: Okay, I'm gonna assume you fell asleep, which is understandable since it's quarter to six. Hope you have a good sleep. Text me when you wake up :)

Then the unthinkable occurred to me. Instead of replying, I dialed his number. After the fourth ring, he finally picked up. "Afternoon, Skyler," said a cheerful Christian. "To what do I owe the pleasure?"

"I need your help with something," I said quickly, my tone urgent. "Is there somewhere where we could meet?"

If you enjoyed this chapter, please leave a vote/comment and I'll do the same for you :)

~S.M.