Chapter 25

Brantley's POV:

I heard Lila shriek as I charged into the room. She had scrambled up on an exam table, her eyes wide. I squared off with the wolf in the room, bowing up and baring my teeth. The pup growled and edged forward. "Don't you fuckin do it boy..." I warned, hoping he could understand me. He paused, then regained his composure and edged forward. "I want that human. Get away from her." He hissed. I roared and made sure I was as big as possible. I really let the alpha out then. "You want to take MY mate?! Go ahead and try Pup. You ever tried to take an Alpha's woman? You lettin your mouth override your ass." I warned him. "Alpha?" He asked and paused mid-step. "My name is Brantley Gilbert. Alpha, to you." I re-iterated and edged forward, growling low in my throat. "Oh shit...." He realized his mistake immediately and backed away, dropping to the floor on his belly and lowering his head. "Shift." I demanded. He chanced a look at me. "I said SHIFT!" I roared. He whimpered and shifted into human form, kneeling with his eyes locked on the floor. I shifted as well, standing and planting my feet. Daring him to try something. "I'm sorry Alpha." He whispered. Lila edged into the room as I dressed and slung a hospital gown at the pup. She pressed herself against my back and peeked around me. "It's alright Lila, he won't bother you." I told her encouragingly. "Anything hurt?" She asked him, not moving from her spot behind me. He shook his head. "No ma'am. I'm all healed up." He kept his head down. "My owners found me in their back yard, decided to keep me. I could never get away. They're nice people, but as Alpha knows, shifters don't do well as house pets." He explained, keeping his tone respectful. She nodded. "Then get out of here. I can't consciously send you back to them." Lila told him. He stepped forward to thank her and she jumped back behind me. I growled at him and he froze, backing up. He out his hands out in front of him. "I'm sorry. Just.. Thank you. I mean you no harm. Had I known that you belonged to the Alpha, I never would've acted out." He apologized to her. She nodded. Still keeping a me between her and the pup as he left the room and shifted, taking off out the back door. Once he was gone, she was back to her normal self.

Monday morning came quickly. Lila headed to work, and I headed to meet up with my pack. My biker buddies and I were hosting our annual Toys for Tots drive. We did it every year. Before we started the toy drive, we always held a press conference, naming our sponsors, explaining what we were doing, announcing dates, etc. We mounted our bikes and tore off to the press conference, ready to get the day started. Once we got to the convention center, a bad feeling washed over me. The boys felt it too. It had me on edge. I turned at hearing my name. "Brantley!" I looked behind me and saw the same pup from the clinic. I growled at him in warning. He dropped his eyes in submission as he got close. "Alpha.." He nodded in my direction. "I... I don't know what to do. Where to go." He shuffled his feet nervously. "What's your name kid?" I asked him. My pack stood at my back. "Michael Jones, sir. I'm... I'm lost. I don't have anyone." He dropped his eyes and shuffled back. "Easy Michael. Relax. Come with us and we'll talk later, alright?" I comforted him. My anger from Saturday at the clinic had evaporated. He was just a kid, lost and alone and afraid. As an Alpha, I couldn't very well turn my back on him. The kid looked like I just gave him a million dollars. He nodded quickly and fell into step with us as we headed into the conference. My pack surrounded the young pup, keeping him in the fold. "Sir...." He asked tentatively. I glanced back at him over my shoulder. "Something feels off..." He nearly whispered. "I know kid. I feel it too." I rumbled back.