Chapter 51: Depth

Start from the beginning

I close the door behind me, and take off my jacket, shoes, and toque, before proceeding through the main floor.

I arrive at the kitchen, and notice Abigail sitting at one of the barstools, flipping through a magazine.

She looks over at me as I walk towards her, and smiles.

"Hey love." I say, kissing her on the cheek gently.

"Hey, Pat. Thanks for getting the food. I could have come with you, you know." She says, watching me as I move into the kitchen, now across from where she is sitting.

I set down the bag, getting out a couple plates and eating utensils.

"You're pregnant." I wink, laughing.

Abigail rolls her eyes, shaking her head.

Abby and I have created a joke, ever since we found out that she's pregnant.

And that joke is that I pretend like she can't do anything, because she's pregnant.

Of course, I know that she is perfectly capable to do everything at this point, but I always tease her for it.

"You're ridiculous." Abigail says, shaking her head.

"I know." I shrug, laughing.

She laughs, getting up off of the barstool, and walking over to where I have started taking the food out of the bag.

She helps me take some of our food out, as they come in oyster pails.

"Hey, Abigail, I got it. You're pregnant, remember?" I wink, looking down at her.

"Okay, you seriously need to drop that now." She laughs, kissing me on the cheek.

I laugh, and turn on my heel to grab a couple glasses from the cupboard on the other side of the kitchen.

She slaps my ass as I turn around.

I laugh, grabbing two glasses from the cupboard, and filling each of them with ice water.

Abby and I dish out our meals onto two different plates, and then head over to the glass dinner table at the end of the apartment to eat.

We both sit down, taking our first bites of our meal.

"Thank-you once again for running out to grab the food, Pat. I had no energy to cook tonight, whatsoever. And I didn't feel like leaving the apartment either." Abby laughs, taking a small bite of her food.

I laugh, shaking my head.

"Of course." I say, taking a large bite of food.

This Chinese place has always been amazing, and their food is delicious.

I don't have it all that often, so when I do, I fully indulge in it.

"How was work today?" I ask, tilting my head slightly.

"It was good. Busy, but good." She says, nodding.

I nod, smiling.

"So, how are you feeling?" I ask, looking up at Abby.

She runs her hand through her naturally straight hair, that falls down one side of her body.

She sighs, smiling.

"Honestly, I feel pretty good, most of the time. Like I haven't started feeling sick yet, but I'm more tired, more often." Abby explains, taking a sip of her water.

"I'm sure that's normal." I say, nodding.

She nods too.

"Can you tell that I'm pregnant? Like are you noticing any difference?" Abigail asks, bluntly.