Just before the sun slipped beneath the horizon, Stee and Lydri sighted the Intersection Tower. It was barely more than a glow. They pushed Shania to her limits and Cardoch stayed close by her side. No more than ten minutes later they reached it. Stee immediately slipped off Shania to relieve her of the weights and Lyam stopped their energy share. A watchman greeted them.

“I am princess Steenilana, my teacher and I wish to stay here tonight.”

He bowed low. “Three of us are watch here; there is a small room for the royal family and other nobility. Go up to the top of the stairs, it is the room on the left.”

Thank you.”

“Is there any news from the castle? We have not received word today and we should have.”

Stee looked at Lydri, “aye, do not expect any, there was an attack,” Said Lydri, “please only mention our visit to King Ryal himself, say that we are going for help.”

The watchman looked very upset, “I’m sorry, I had not expected that,”

“No one did,” Lydri interjected.

“This war will begin before the new year. I won’t tell of your visit.” The watchman took the reins of the horses and led them to a small stable to the side of the tower.

Stee looked back and noticed Cardoch appeared tired.

“Acting,” explained Lydri.

Stee Slept peacefully, glad to be in a proper bed but Lydri sat awake all night. Time was running out. He needed to get Stee to her mother so she could learn about her inhuman half properly. Her father also needed her help, so he needed to get her back as fast as possible also. No matter what, there was no way out of the war for her, she had been prophesised, along with himself, something he had once hated about himself but had now come to accept. Her mum didn’t even know that they were coming unless she had scried them, but that was unlikely. She had told to meet him to meet in dream state in an emergency, yet at this time, Lydri knew that he was no calm enough to enter it.

Lyam woke Stee close to sunrise to avoid contact with the watch. Two small packages of food were left outside and a plate with two eggs and some green vegetables under a cloth which they ate quickly. Lydri silently placed five gold coins on the plate before following Stee downstairs.

They left without any incidents. They cantered from the intersection along the edge of the Jackhives. As other people joined the road they slowed to a walk. Lyam was unable to teach Stee any more words during this time but he redid the energy sharing spell which he had used the previous day so that Shania would not get as tired.

Instead Lydri decided to try something else, “I am going, ah, with my mind, Cardoch will keep a watch, just ride as if there is no difference.”

Stee didn’t really understand but said, “ok, Shania and I will follow Cardoch.” She now appreciated that Cardoch was not just a mare, she was more than a horse, as a wielder is to a human, Cardoch is to a horse.

Lydri felt much more relaxed than he had the previous night and drifted into the dream state quickly even though it had been years since he had entered it. His ranking gave him access to it, but his job rarely required it. The queen could tell whenever anyone entered the dream state so she quickly joined him once she realised who it was.

She surprised him speaking Aharoman, “Welcome Lydri Av-Mira.”

“My Queen.” He was as close to an equal as anyone outside the royal family could get to the queen.

“Why are you here?”

“Are you at Holm?”

“Do you really need me?”

“She does not remember her mother.” It was the first real answer, the other answers were heard within the words of the questions replied. Family was important to wielders as it lead to the names and colours.

“You are right, I am afraid to see her again, and because I know that we will have to part again. I have been a Queen not a mother for all but a few years, she needs a mother and I’m afraid that I cannot give it to her.”

Lydri nodded.

“I can leave in two days, four days travel to our outpost in the Aharoman Great Forest.” She chuckled; the Aharoman Great Forest was anything but great. The forests beyond the mountains were many times larger.

“I believe you will be there first.”

“As I should.”

A smirk crossed his face, “thank you.”

He slipped out of dream state. “Stee?”

She turned glad that he returned.

“We do not have to travel as far now, we do not have to go beyond the Great Forest,” Lydri said, “now that I am back, it is time to make some distance, I want to cross into the grasslands to sleep tonight, by the Southern corner of the desert.