Chapter Seven

Depuis le début

Senor Vargas had his arms full of curling notes and was talking animatedly to one of the footmen but when he spotted me bowed his head striding over to us purposefully. "Elegant as ever," He beamed nervously. I saw that there was a large pure red tent set up not that far away, nodding my head toward it anxiously I asked what it was for. "That is where you will change into your new French clothes, where you end your reign as princess of Andorra and become the Dauphine of France." My hands began to tremble at my sides, nervous, fear and excitment filled me to the brim with anticipation. It had been such a long time since we had last met and I was scared that he would no longer like what he saw.

Eloise took my hand in hers and when I turned to face her she pulled me into an unexpected hug that did not last long. "You will be absolutely fine, Anna," She soothed as she let go.

Surrounding the tent were footmen and guards wearing different colours to that of the men that I had been accustomed to for the whole of my life. There were five women standing tall and regal looking as they observed the scene with hostile eyes. A shockingly thin lady with brown hair plaited on top of her head and wearing a small hooped dress stepped forwards holding her hands neatly in front of her. It appeared to be time.

I started walking forward with my lady in waiting, Ambassador and Eloise and she took two steps forward. When we came to a stop in front of her she took our faces in disapprovingly then bent very low performing a perfect curtsy. I bowed my head at her assuming the others did too. "Princess Rosanna Marchal of Andorra."

I gave a tentative smile that she did not return and thus did very little to ease my nerves, "Yes."

"I am Comtesse DeGeneres and I am the mistress of the house, please would you say farewell to your party and follow me," She stared pointedly so I bobbed my head and turned to face the lady in waiting.

"Look after everyone at home, especially Nikola and Josepha." I addressed her in Catalan rather than French. She nodded, I felt my eyes prick with tears all over again as I threw my arms rather unladylike around her neck. I pulled away spinning to face my lovely Eloise. "You have been my dearest friend and the best counsellor, I truly treasure you close to my breast," my voice came out thick with emotion.

"Oh you silly girl," Eloise blubbered taking me into her arms but it was a quick lived hug for we let go and straightened up, wiping away tears that should never have spilled.

"Ready?" Senor Vargas raised his eyebrows and gestured towards the guarded entrance to the tent. I nodded, refusing to look behind me as I followed Madame DeGeneres's lead into the luxurious interior. It was amazing just like a portable chamber. Senor Vargas had to take the scenic route for he was not permitted to be in the tent whilst I was changing. There were even more ladies and maids inside and all eyes were heavily focused upon me. I did not know which way to look nor what was expected of me.

I took in the lavish surroundings and chandeliers as I stood still, changed by strangers. Not feeling comfortable standing there as the object of judgment by so many people I had no choice in the matter. I tried to focus myself on thinking about Philip and the new life we would be starting together. A new kind of hoop was slid over me, a new dress with a lot more bows and a harsher corset that was shaped differently than the one I was accustomed to. It caused me to gasp slightly as it was heaved around my ribs. I wore at least three underskirts and they were heavy, my green sleeves which ended at my elbows were so covered in frills that my arms could not properly touch my sides.

My hair was undone and restyled and makeup put on. Then after what felt like centuries two of the more powerful looking lady's left the tent through the back exit and I was ordered into new shoes. "There, now you look decent enough to pass off French," the Comtesse smiled sternly.