Chapter Eleven: Wounded Soldiers

"What do we do?" Octavia asked, fear in her voice. Monty and Jasper fidgeted nervously beside Jamie, paler than usual as they watched Clarke freak out about their best friend.

Clarke started pushing on Jamie's chest, several times, before turning to her mouth and breathing air into Jamie. "Come on, come on!" She continued the CPR a few more times, each time her breaths became shakier and shakier. Monty moved in to help but Clarke just shook him off, she needed to do this for Jamie. She felt the overwhelming need to protect her cousin rise in her and knew she had to be the one to bring her back, to take care of her.

"Clarke! Come in, Clarke!" Her mother's voice announced once again, panic in her voice.

"Jamie isn't breathing!" Clarke yelled back, tears streaming down her face. The room full of delinquents were now silent as they waited to see what would happen.

Jasper grabbed Octavia's hand as they both watched with tearful eyes as Clarke tried to revive Jamie.

"What?! What happened?" Abby's voice sounded completely panicked now as she asked about Jamie. "Clarke! Tell me what's going on!"

Clarke shook her head, frantically pumping Jamie's chest when the girl finally took in a staggered breath. Clarke cried out and wrapped her arms around her tightly. "Oh my God you scared me Jaymes." She mumbled in Jamie's ear. Pressing a rough kiss to Jamie's temple, she continued to hold the girl tightly. "She's fine mom, she's breathing again." She took a deep breath before releasing Jamie. "I need your help. One of our people was stabbed by a Grounder." Clarke went to Finn's side then, ready to get to work. She wiped the tears off of her face and took another stuttering breath, glancing at Jamie as she did. Octavia held one of Jamie's hands while Jasper held the other, fear coursing through them at the thought of losing her after what just happened.

"Clarke, this is the Chancellor. Are you saying there are survivors on the ground?"

"Yes, the Earth is survivable. We're not alone." Clarke's eyes focused on Jamie while she replied, her heart still pounding in her chest. Jamie was taking slow breaths but her eyes were closed and her hand was tightly clamped onto Jasper's and Octavia's. Clarke's eyes went to Finn once more and she took in a staggered breath. "Mom, he's dying. The knife is still in his chest."

"Clarke, is my son with you?"

Clarke sighed and ran a hand down her tired face. "No, I'm so sorry Wells is...Wells is dead."

There was a scream from the top floor where Bellamy took the grounder and Octavia immediately ran up the ladder. Monty moved closer to Jamie, taking Octavia's spot.

"Clarke, I'm going to talk you through it, step by step."

Clarke nodded, ready to start.

"Clarke...just...find..."

Clarke looked up at Raven with a frown as the storm raged on outside. "What? Raven, what's wrong?"

"It's not the radio, it's the storm." Raven shook her head and shrugged, trying to mess with the radio's frequency.

"Clarke, we need to hurry!" Abby's voice thundered through the dropship and Clarke felt anxious because of it.

Octavia dropped two canisters to the floor before climbing down the ladder, holding one out to Clarke. Clarke smelled it and her breath caught in her throat. "Monty's moonshine?"

"You need something to sterilize and I'm pretty sure no germ could survive it." Octavia replied with a forced grin at Monty.

He snickered nervously, a blush coloring his cheeks. "Damn right nothing can survive it." His voice trembled as he gripped Jamie's hand tightly in his own, trying not to think about her. He frowned and squeezed her hand, grimacing as he did. The temperature of her skin started to really bother him and he couldn't help the pit of worry forming in his stomach. Octavia patted Monty's back lightly before climbing the ladder once again.