"Will? You mean-" He looked at me, and I nodded. He laughed. "Jealous? Why would I be jealous of a creep like that?" He looked completely confused.

"Because he's dating Lyra. The whole media world has shown that you wish you were in his place." Taylor taunted, and I fought the urge to slap him.

I butted in before Nate could throw a punch. "Taylor, I'm not dating William. I never have been and I never will."

Taylor scowled. "You want me to believe that my best friend lies to me?"

Nate snorted. "Obviously. Lyra, you didn't tell me every member of your old band was thick."

I tried not to laugh. "I think you should leave, Taylor."

He scowled again in Nate's direction. "Whatever." And he mooched off to get some beer.

I turned to Nate. "I'm not in a secret relationship with William." I said quickly.

He shrugged. "Its none of my business anyway. I don't care." He said, glaring at Taylor's back in a way that contradicted his words. "I'm just here for the music." With that, he walked off, leaving m standing on my own.

I could hear Blitzkrieg Bop playing somewhere, but now I was on my own and I couldn't dance to it. Shame, because I loved the tune. I let fill my head though, evaporating all my anger at Taylor and my confusion at Nate.

"Their piling in the back seat, they generate steam heat, pulsating to the back beat..." The Ramones sang, and I laughed as I sang along. Who needed boys?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Charles' phone rings. Jut a bland, ring ring. He makes an apologetic face, then leaves the room to answer the call.

Once he's gone, my defences crumble. I set aside the notepad and sob. Tears stream from eyes, but I'm too overcome to wipe them away. I can't see anything, not just because of the tears, but because all I can see is his face.

A face that I might never see again.

I think I might have been wrong. Writing down the whole story is too painful. There's so many memories that I'd forgotten until now, so many hopes and dreams I'd had that'll never be fulfilled.

There are so many regrets, so many things I should have said but didn't. If I were still in the business, I'd be able to write a billion emotional songs. But now that everything's changed, I'm stuck with no where to  go.

I'll carry on writing it all down though. Because now I feel like I owe it to him. To all of them.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

At Springbreak the next day, all we can talk about is the upcoming arena tour. Elliot had confirmed it in a phone call to Nate that morning, and it was all we cared about.

"When do we go?" I ask, strumming on Nate's guitar even though I can't play.

"In a month's time." Nate said, taking the guitar from me. "And you'll be pleased to know it'll take us back to your home."

"We're doing England?" I said.

"London, to be specific." He said, grinning.

I laugh. "Its not home anymore. New York is. Actually, I could just live here, in Number Four." I said, stretching my arms above my head.

"Even with your Dad here?" Chris asked.

I shrugged. "Well, he's gone all day. I only see him in the evening. He hasn't criticised the band yet though."

Freddie jumped onto the sofa, next to me. "Do we know when the LP has to be ready?"

 Nate shrugged. "I think Elliot's keeping it slow. That way, if the EP doesn't do so well, he won't have lost any money on doing an LP because he can just drop us. He's says he's keeping us 'a mystery to the public' though."

I snort. "He's so..."

"Don't. Its thanks to him we got a deal." Freddie reminded me. "Hold that temper, girl!" He said, flicking a wrapper at me.

"Besides, we're doing well. Except we still need to work out that sequence we started yesterday." Chris said. "Come on, Fred. We may as well see how it turns out."

Fred and Chris went into the booth, which left me and Nate alone. He was at the mixing table, pretending he hadn't noticed. But I could tell from the tightness in his shoulder muscles that he knew. For once, Nate actually looked... not great. There were bags under his eyes, his hair was a tousled mess and his T-shirt was a bit wrinkled. If we were still friends, I might have asked if everything was OK. But I didn't think I'd be welcome to that anymore.

In the end, I just went for it.

"What's wrong?" I asked from my place on the sofa.

He turned around slowly. "Nothing."

I frowned. "Are you sure? I'm not trying to be nosey, but you look-"

"Yeah, I know I look awful." He said, rolling his eyes and running a hand through his messed up hair.

"No - you just look kind of worn out." I said, trying to put it nicely.

He scoffed. "Whatever. I'm fine, Lyra. Just leave it."

And that was what I got for trying to be concerned. I thought we were supposed to be going back to just being friends - that was part of our ceasefire. Either he had forgotten that, or he was really bad at being friendly.

I tried again. "Are you looking forward to the arena tour?" I asked.

He shrugged. "Yeah."

I rolled my eyes. "Look, I'm trying to get back to normal here and it would be really nice if you could kind of help, you know."

"I'm sorry, but I'm really in the mood to be a fun buddy right now." He snapped.

"You can't expect me to understand and sympathise when you won't tell me what's wrong. I mean- Actually, no. I don't care. I've had enough of trying to be civil with you." I said, in an angry huff.

He leaned his head back, and then looked right at me. "I am sorry, Lyra. Stuff is hard right now, but its kind of personal." He tried a smile.

I grinned. "I understand that you don't want to spill your guts about all your deepest secrets. Just don't snap at me and then refuse to explain."

He nodded. "OK. Sorry."

I laughed. "Did you actually just apologise? Is it a blue moon?"

He swatted in my direction. "Whatever. It won't happen again."

"Oh, I'm sure." I said, laughing some more.

 The rest of rehearsal was tense, to say the least. I could tell something was playing on Nate's mind - it was even affecting his singing. But I kept to my word and didn't interfere. It wasn't like we were close enough anyway, but still... it had me wondering.

He would tell me if he wanted, and I had to deal with that.

______________________________________________________

I know this one was awful. And I feel awful for that. But honestly - next chapter is where things start happening! As in, big things! As in, things that'll be heating up between certain characters!

I'm so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!

BUUUUT -

I have a question. The way the plot's looking in my head, there's going to be a sequel. I'm all for this, I even have the name for it. But I need to know if you lot would read it... so comment and let me know?

LOVE YOU ALL DEARLY! XMX