Chapter 56- The Concept of "Trust"

Start from the beginning

"One, two, three, four, turn, step, spin out, spin in, good!" The choreographer clapped, as I huffed from the dance. I tried to blow a strand of hair out of my face, but it stuck to my face with sweat. We'd seriously run through that part of the choreography like ten times, and this was the first time we'd finally gotten it right. The last spin had put me in such a position that Henry was behind me, his hands on my shoulders. 

"Okay, Mel, this is the part that's going to be the most uncomfortable. The reason I needed your help. Because I need you to trust me."

I bit my lip. "Well, as long as you know what you're doing..."

Before I knew it, I was spinning away, and my feet were out from under me, and I was falling backwards towards the floor... and then suddenly Henry was there, one hand catching my own to stop the fall from the front, the other around my back. He hovered over me, grinning widely although I swear he'd just endangered my life. My heart was pounding from the sudden fear of the fall, and my eyes were huge as quarters as I stared up at him in shock.

"So do you trust me?" Henry asked, searching my face for any indication of the contrary.

I clung to his grip, an instinct born from vertigo. I took a deep breath. "Of course. I trust my big brother. In every way that counts."

If there was any part of my heart that wasn't beating wildly because of fear, I shut it down immediately.

"Just as long," I added, "as you don't drop me."

He smiled. "Of course not." 

And then he let go.

 The dance with Henry was anything if not demanding. He definitely wasn't making it easy on me, that was for sure. Sometimes one of the other backup dancers had to step in, to show me what I was supposed to do. 

Of course, the most difficult was the part where I fell within inches of the floor, then slid upwards and away. It was a very precise dance, every move having an exact placement, something that wasn't exactly easy for me. The concept of "trust" was repeated over and over again, with a few rapid spins that could end badly if someone wasn't on the other end to stop me, along with a few criss-cross steps that looked absolutely ridiculous if I was doing them by myself. But I always had to trust that Henry would be there. Which was a bit difficult after the first time, in which he had let me fall the last few inches (sorry, the last several centimeters) to the floor, just because it was funny.

After practice for a dance like that, my legs had turned to jelly, and I seriously needed a shower to wash away all of the sweat that had congealed all over my skin, making my clothes smell absolutely horrendous. Unfortunately, the shower would have to wait until I got home, and I still had to go to my vocal lesson.

When I got there, though, I heard the soft sounds of the piano. Peeking around the doorframe, I saw that it was Ryeowook, his eyes closed as his fingers danced over the keys. I went in a little bit further, leaning against the doorframe. I couldn't help but smile as I watched him play; it was always so pretty and calming. It was the song he had composed, wasn't it? "Memories in Breeze"... I loved listening to it. It was a magical song, one that could truly send your mind back to the past, like the name indicated. While Ryeowook's fingers danced over the keys, memories blew through my mind like the wind off of the ocean-- happy memories, sad memories, confused memories, painful memories... I listened to it often when I was going to sleep, because it made me feel at peace. And my Wookie had composed it.

"Oh, Minsung, you're here." His voice snapped me back into the here and now. He'd stopped playing, and now was looking right at me.

"Yeah. I'm sorry, I didn't knock. I didn't want you to stop playing."