Chapter 14

Eventually I was returned to my house. My lousy excuse for my hiatus was that there was a Chess Club meeting this morning on account we are trying to arrange a tournament soon. Gabriel bought the story and I returned to my room, texting Dean. We didn't even really talk about much seeing as our social lives were unimpressive.

I laid on my bed, listened to the music he liked (I learned to like it, too), hugging my pillow as if it was him when I closed my eyes, I pretended it was. It wasn't the same as the real thing, though.

The real thing was bigger and stronger and held me close because the real thing loved me. Loved me. Someone ACTUALLY loved me. That is probably the best feeling in the world!

But I wasn't supposed to tell anyone.

'I have sixty four extra dollars saved up. Maybe we could go on a proper dinner date some time.'

'Save the money, Cas. We can continue our style of doing this relationship our way n put our extra in a jar. Cas & Deans travel fund I've gotta few extra bucks myself.'

I grinned and ignored the grammar errors. It didn't seem to matter anymore.

'Okay. Smiley face.'

'Cas... it's (: not "smiley face"'

I face-palmed. I felt like such an idiot. How did I not put that together?

'Alright. (: '

'I have something fun planned for tomorrow.'

'Oh?'

'But I cant tell you. its a surprise.'

We continued at this and I felt like a seven-year-old girl. But I was happy. And he was happy. And that's all that seemed relevant.

But then I got to thinking.

He had given me so much and I have hardly contributed.

So I had an idea.

Dad had given me a guitar before he left us. I could learn and play. Oh! That's perfect!

So I got on the computer and read about the instrument after I took it out from under my bed. Gracie sat on my shoulder and nuzzled her head by my ear. It tickled and I stroked her gently. We both stared at the screen. Little Hobbits were lined up across the top of my monitor.

I stared at the strings on the shiney black guitar situated in my lap. Picked at the different ones in a fluid motion and familiarized myself with the different sounds it made. I watched videos and printed out notes and sheet music.

I must have sat there the entire rest of the day because Gabe called me down for food.

I did go eat, but fairly quickly and returned back upstairs to my guitar where I attempted to play a song by Kansas (which I also noticed in his room) called 'Dust in the Wind'. Which I learned was a slow, sad song.

Gracie was my only audience and she bobbed to it. So she must have liked it. We called it a success and I played more songs from more bands I read around his room. I couldn't believe I was this coordinated as to play an instrument.

I played (quietly) all night. My fingers were pink and raw and it hurt. But it was well worth it. I inhaled rather deeply, put my bird back on her perch, dressed in comfortable pyjammas and brushed my teeth and laid down finally at 2:15-ish.