Chapter Four

Tonight was blissful. Tonight was... Quiet.. But peaceful. I was grateful for one night of utter tranquility. I was needing it.

I awoke to my alarm clock beeping. I shut it off quickly and looked for Whiskers. She was snuggled into my stomach. I grinned and started to pet her. "You must be my good luck charm." I said, kissing her on her tiny head. I giggled and put on my Sunday dress. I always liked dressing up for church... There was something about it that made me giddy. I got up and started to brew my coffee. I stopped to think about how much caffeine I consume in a week, so i googled how much a normal healthy adult should have... but I stopped when all Google told me was that I was dying. I chuckled, grabbing my coffee and adding some sugar and hazelnut creamer. The warm scent wafted across my kitchen and followed me into my bathroom. I stood on my scale and saw the numbers 115 pop up. I had lost six pounds since the murders began. I sighed, knowing that was no where near healthy for a girl my height. I've always been tall and skinny, but I knew I should eat more. I brushed out my blonde hair and started to curl it. After I was finished, I washed my face and began to do my makeup.I decided on a neutral eyeshadow with winged eyeliner... My favorite. I drank the rest of my coffee and then brushed my teeth before turning off the bathroom light. I stopped before I walked out because I could've sworn I saw something in the bathtub. I took a few steps back and turned on the light. I gasped as something jumped at me. I looked down at the floor as Whiskers was scurrying at my feet. I sighed, placing my hand on my racing heart. "You almost gave momma a heart attack sweetheart." I picked her up and kissed her on the head, "How'd you get in here missy? You're like houdini!" I turned off the bathroom light and walked into my kitchen.

I grabbed my phone from the counter along with my purse. I threw a couple makeup supplies, my keys, wallet, and my phone into my purse and then set it down on the counter again. "Too bad I can't smuggle a kitten to church, huh?" I set Whiskers down and got her fresh food and water. She meowed and began to eat. It felt nice to take care of something... It was a nice distraction from reality. My stomach growled but I refused to eat anything because I had a feeling it would be coming up eventually. I threw a protein bar in my purse just in case I got light headed later like I usually do. I closed the door to my bedroom so she wouldn't venture too far while I was gone. I placed her fuzzy ivory cushion close to her food bowls so she could sleep in it if she wanted to. I grabbed my brown jacket since I was wearing an ivory sweater dress and slipped my feet into some brown heeled booties. I walked out, sending air kisses to Whiskers, and locking the door twice just in case. As I was walking to my car, I began to have a weird sensation of someone following me. I sighed, looking at my breathe in the air. "Not this again.. Brinley, there is no one there." I took a deep breath and continued to my car.

Something rattled behind me and I blamed in on an animal. I tried my best I could to soothe my mind but I could feel myself start to shake. "Come on.. Not now." I whispered to myself. I started to walk a little bit faster but the feelings only intensified. I felt a lump in my throat form and turned around only to see an empty parking garage. At least I always park on the first floor... I shuffled over to my car and got in quickly. I locked the doors around ten time before I was sure that they were actually locked. I fumbled around with the keys because my hands were shaking. I finally started the car and was about to drive out when I heard my phone buzz. I knew it would bug me if I didn't know what it was so I decided to check it now. I reached for my phone in the glove box and I my heart seemed to stop... It was another amber alert. The girl had short brown hair, green eyes, and a pretty smile. The alert notified me that she was reported missing this morning at 7:30 AM. She was going for a morning run, like usual, but never returned home. I shuddered when I realized that she was around my age... Her name was Marcy Reynolds. Every time I get an alert like this, it just reminds me of how unsafe I really am. Anyone could be next. It could easily be my guts spread all over channel 6. I shook my head, trying to dispel the thoughts, and turned the air to a warmer setting. I put the car in reverse and backed out, making my way to church.