Chapter One: A Fateful October Day

Zelda

I ran my heart out. I felt the opponent swing his blade at me, somewhere near my neck. I knew I had armor on, but the adrenaline kept me alert and kept my reflexes sharp. I finally got around to being on the offense, with my opponent off guard for a slight second. My blade came in contact with his armor, and if he had none on, it would have been a fatal blow to the chest.

"Princess, I believe you won this round," Impa told me from the spectator's stands. "Give your opponent a chance to breathe."

My opponent removed his mask to inhale more air at once. He fell to the ground with exhaustion. It was honestly pretty over-dramatic for a training session, but I knew he wasted a lot of effort letting me get a few hits. I wasn't dumb enough to think that I could possibly beat Link in a sword battle. "You okay there?" I joked.

"I'm not used to all of this armor on," he panted. "Why can't we use dull
swords instead of using real swords and wearing heavy armor?"

A servant came to us and handed us each a glass of water and briskly left. Link and I started walking toward the exit of the arena. Impa walked out of the arena using the exit opposite to us. "Are you excited for the one-year anniversary of the release of the new Smash?" I asked. I still needed to pack for the trip. "It's gonna be a week full of parties, eating, dancing, and not having royal duties to attend to."

"Yeah, it'll be a nice break," Link agreed. "Will we still have to follow the rules of canon?"

Link and I had a confusing relationship. We both had feelings for each other, but if we were to date, it wouldn't be canon. I'd heard stories about what happens to characters that don't follow canon, and I did not want to risk it. My best friend was in a non-canon relationship, and she told me not to worry about it, but I didn't want anything bad to happen. So Link and I stayed friends. Just friends.

"I need to pack for the trip," I said, trying to avoid the question, and I saw that Link regretted asking me.

It was very awkward.

So I just ran down the hall.

Fighting back tears.

"Zelda!" I heard Link call for me. I ignored him and ran to my bedroom. I locked the door and started bawling.

After about ten minutes, I got out my phone and texted my best friend, Samus Aran.

Zelda: Hey

Samus: Hey, what's up?

Zelda: Complicated. Can I call?

Samus: Sorry, have the Fire Emblem crew over. They're traveling with me tomorrow.

Zelda: Are you traveling with your boyfriend?

Samus: No, Mute City is very far away from Zebes. We'll just see each other at the parties.

Samus: Later, have guests to entertain.

I threw my phone at my bed, and it plopped harmlessly onto the mattress. I decided to pack for the trip. All of my dresses were somewhat hung neatly and other clothes were folded to the best of my ability. I then heard a knock on my door. "It's Impa, may I come in, Princess?"

"Yes," I replied blankly. She opened the door and entered my room, leaving the door slightly ajar.

"Princess, you shouldn't let it get to you-"

"Stop."

She bowed. "Sorry, Your Highness. You should get some rest, we're leaving for travel at dawn tomorrow."