Chapter 6: Patience

The next couple of days were quiet. Mrs Hudson was no where to be seen and Sherlock was away solving one of Lestrade's new cases. John had 221B all to himself with absolutely nothing to do. He was still determined to find himself a job. Of course, solving cases with Sherlock was interesting to say the least. But John wanted something that he could call his own.

The surgery opened at 7am which didn't stop John from being the first one there. He had been scheduled an interview for a part time job they had available. With John's remarkably impressive CV, he was offered the job within the first twenty minutes of him being there. He didn't need to start for another week so John decided to call and get some groceries to take home.

He returned to the flat to find Mycroft sitting in his chair. John didn't even question how he had gotten in. Knowing Mycroft he had probably made himself a copy of the keys. John put down his bags and walked over to the fireplace where he gave Mycroft a disturbing glare. Mycroft slowly stood up, walked around the table and placed himself comfortably in Sherlock's chair.

"Ah, better." John smiled.

"Oh, for goodness sake. You're worse than Sherlock. It's only a chair." Mycroft replied raising his eyebrow.

"Then you'll have no trouble sitting in Sherlock's while he is away, will you?"
John sat himself down. Mycroft's visits were only brief. He wasn't even sure why he had decided to visit. Clearly he knew that Sherlock was away. Perhaps that's why he was there.

"I gather that you're well, John." Mycroft said trying to change the subject.

"Any sane individual would think that you came here to check up on me?" John replied.

"Do they do that? People?" Mycroft asked with curiosity.

"Do what exactly?" John replied with confusion.

"Think?"

"Apparently we do." John said shaking his head.

Mycroft's eyes were fixed on John's. Neither of them spoke for some time.

"You're not as sane as you think you are, John. You're voluntarily living with my brother for a start." Mycroft smirked.

"Well, I'd appreciate it if you could voluntarily leave the flat. I don't need a babysitter, Mycroft."

John didn't have time for meaningless conversations. He showed Mycroft out of the flat and decided to go and put away his shopping.

Sherlock had only been gone for two days and it had been quiet to say the least. John missed having someone there, someone to talk to. He missed Sherlock, which is something he would never admit out loud. Maybe he should call him? Just to check that everything was going well with the case. Why hadn't Sherlock called him? Perhaps he didn't want to speak to John. Or perhaps he was having the same thoughts in his head.
Whatever the reason was, it didn't stop them from thinking about eachother.

The afternoon passed quite quickly. John sat comfortably in his chair before hearing a knock at the door. Mrs Hudson was out so it was left to John to go and answer it. In front of him stood a rather petite woman. She had thick, brunette curls and was wearing a cotton dress wrapped in a purple winter coat.

"John?" She said hesitantly with a smile on her face.

"Uh, yes. Can I help you?" John wasn't sure how she knew his name but he remained to be friendly.

"You left this in the waiting room this morning at the surgery." She said handing over a mobile phone.

"Oh thank you! I didn't even notice it was missing." He sounded grateful and invited the woman in for a cup of coffee.