Task Two: Male Entries

Start from the beginning

"Boys, please. Cyneisge, try not showing off too much. It'll work better if you swing it lightly, not clutch it as if it's the gold going through your greedy fingers."

"Me, greedy? Dear Ren, you wound me." A heavy sigh and a hand to the heart accompanied my words. "I'll let you come over here and play with my flail, if you desire, Ren."

"Tolbert, I made it quite clear that I do not appreciate your advances yesterday. Do you wish for another slap to the face? I'd be more than happy to oblige."

"I'd be more than happy to recieve another."

Ren was nearly red with anger when another page entered the room. "Cynesige Tolbert and Fennet Abernathy, the arena wishes your presence."

A slender girl stood from the other side of the tent, and the heavy sword she already held was hard to ignore. Someone else had been gifted by the royal family.

"Good luck, Cynesige," Edmund called as I left.

Ren snorted and studied her sword indifferently. "I'd hate to not get to be the one to beat you, Tolbert. Try to save me that joy, all right?"

"I'm winning you over, Ren, admit it."

She replied with a gesture none too polite, but I left smiling, the flail I held in one hand the key to my success. Before approaching the dirt-floored arena that I was to be battling the girl - Fennel? - in, I strutted towards the royal's box at one end, and bowed deeply.

"I thank thee, your majesty, for the generous gift. I hope to do you proud, my queen."

"Rise, Cynesige, and face your opponent."

The grin slipped off my face as I turned and bowed low. Fennel was already in a classic fighting stance, the sword she had held high. I readied myself as well, my grip on the flail not too tight as Ren had suggested. This was to be a fair fight, but not a bloodless one.

"You seem a decent girl. I hate to beat you, my lady," I told her.

She only tightened her grip. "You seem a decent lad. I'd hate to be beaten, sire."

"You may begin."

The girl was quick, that was for sure - when I struck with my flail, she danced out of the way and swung her broadsword so fast I nearly stumbled backing up. Her size was misleading as well - the slip of a girl hardly looked able to lift a dagger, much less the larger sword she handled with ease.

I growled and swung again, this time lower, and nearly managed to catch her ankle with the ball end. She brought the flat of her sword down on the back of my head while I was down, ringing my skull with blows. I only just managed to stand back up and swing the flail into her stomach before retreating to nurse the wounds she'd inflicted.

My head felt like a stuck pig - bleeding lightly from scratches, I winced as my fingers probed the area, coming away sticky. Still, I'd at least winded Fennel, and she took a minute to appraise me before attacking again.

"You're very good in combat, I'll give you that, my lady," I called, spinning out of the way of her next swing. "I'd hate to get you in a bad mood."

Her face was the epitome of concentration, and she ignored my banter as she attacked again. I blocked the swing with the wooden end of my weapon and swung at her ankles, grazing them, but mostly kicking up dirt from the dry ground - at least, it was dry where there wasn't blood droplets matting the dirt.

I lashed out again with my flail, but only relived the moment with Edmund, managing to sting the knuckles of my hand with the ball. Fennel let out a laugh and lunged at my chest, the inch or so left in between us not a comfortable distance for me.