Task One: Female Entries

Lemaria Female: Ren Lancaster

Renauda stood in front of a large mirror, glaring at her reflection in a large mirror that hung in the corridor that led to the banquet hall. She was entirely unaccustomed to wearing the intricate gowns that were common in Lemaria although she had seen many women wearing them. She felt naked underneath the light blue garments that currently adorned her body and longed for the familiar weight of her armor on her shoulders—the familiar smooth feel.

But her mother insisted that she looked like a lady and not a rascal who had rolled around in the dirt. "You're going to see the royal family," was her mother's reasoning, and so Renauda donned the only dress that she would feel remotely comfortable wearing. It was a blue that matched her eyes, with a fitted bodice and no amount of intricate filigree on it. Her hair she let fall in unruly curls down her back. Still, to the outside eye, she looked breathtaking.

With a small sigh, Ren entered the banquet hall, pushing open both the double doors absentmindedly. Warm light greeted her eyes along with the pleasant sound of lighthearted music. Laughter resonated off the walls and out of the mouths of dozens of people, the majority of which were gathered around a large table over flowing with more food then Renauda had seen in all her life. Candles hung from chandeliers attached to the ceiling, illuminating the room. Paintings and portraits adorned the walls, obviously past leaders of Lemaria.

At one end of the hall sat the royal family, greeting the other tournament competitors. The king looked at ease, a small glint of amusement visible in his eyes as he observed the future knights. Queen Melinda, although beautifully dressed, appeared as though she had a sour taste in her mouth whenever a young woman approached them. A robed man and male and female knight stood on the royal's right side—a handsome young man and a silver haired lady.

Renauda smiled, and moved past the distractions of jovial party towards the royal family. Her heart pounded slightly as she approached those that she so desperately wanted to impress. When she reached them, she knelt as though she were ready to be knighted.

"Do stand up girl, you're making a fool of yourself." A harsh voice snapped at her. Renauda looked up at Queen Melinda, a confused look on her face before she realized that she was kneeling in a dress.

Slightly embarrassed, but determined to remain collected, Renauda stood. "It is such a pleasure to finally meet you."

"The pleasure is certainly not mine," Queen Melinda narrowed her eyes as she sized up Ren.

A hearty laugh sounded from Renauda's left. She returned the king's smile as he spoke, "Don't mind Melinda, dear girl, my love has just had a long day. What is your name?"

"Renauda Lancaster of Lemaria, at your service." Ren curtseyed, figuring that was probably the more acceptable thing to do while wearing a dress.

"Ah, a Lancaster," King Artheur, "I expect great things from you."

"I only hope I can live up to those standards."

The king turned away as Melinda began to strike up a conversation with him. The next person in the row was an older man, one whose face was about as impassive as a stone wall. He only nodded at Ren. She assumed it must have been Lord Roland Delamere, the court's royal advisor.

"Hello Renauda!" The beautiful white haired woman greeted, holding out her hand. Ren shook it enthusiastically, admiration for the female knight evident in her expression.

"You must be Sir Adeline the Brave. I am so honored to have the opportunity to be in the presence of one of my idols." Adeline had been great inspiration for Renauda during her later years of training as she was one of the only famous female knights. Ren wasn't here for the fame but to prove her worth, the representation she would receive if she won the tournament was just a plus.