Task Two: Male Entries

Start from the beginning

Enough of this. Three strikes in quick succession, John's feet sliding through the dirt. Two missed badly, causing him to grit his teeth. The third found skin at last. The light sword colliding with Zenith's knee to bring him to the ground. With a well-placed curse of pain, Zenith tried to stand up again. He fell back onto his knees and John smirked. He turned away from his fallen opponent to face the crowd, sword held loose in his grip. It's done. Slowly, John's eyes turned to the Royal Family. He opened his mouth to speak at the same time the sword caught him across the back. Pain exploded from his shoulderblades, knocking the wind out of him and forcing him to the ground. My sword. John's hands were empty. Where's my sword? The fight was lost.

"Yield," Zenith commanded and with a single scowl John submitted.

"I yield."

I'm a fool. 

Valden Male: Tybolt Maddox

NO ENTRY RECIEVED

Tanad Male: Cynesige Tolbert

The clash of weapons greeted my ears as I sat in a clothed tent, awaiting my turn at the melee. I hadn't known it last night, but today was the day the future knights participated in a short battle against another - nearly the same as the peasant boys fighting each other in the streets for the chance to brag about it.

I didn't see the function of the small battles, other than to weed out who was too weak to lift a sword, but it gave me a chance to size up the competition. While Ren and Edmund practiced together, I watched out the slits of fabric and judged the two fighting at the moment - the boy was obviously stronger than his petite opponent, but she was managing to keep herself in the ring.

"Cynesige Tolbert?" I glanced at the page who'd entered the room, and the room quieted slightly. He bowed low and handed me a short wooden staff, about two feet long. On it, attached with a chain, was a small ball, the spikes that adorned it unsharpened, but still enough to hurt.- a flail.

"The queen has asked that you be given this. She sees promise in you."

I bowed as well, and accepted the gift with a smile that, to others, may have seemed wolfish. "Tell Her Majesty I thank her, and hope to make her proud."

"Yes, sire."

Two other pages entered, both holding swords. One was given to someone I couldn't see, and the other approached Renauda, handing her a wrapped sword. She and Edmund stopped practice to examine it closely before glancing up and meeting my eye.

Ren stowed the sword she'd been practicing with and sauntered over, followed by Edmund. "Looks like at least the two of us have been lucky. You could prove useful in this regard, Tolbert."

"And you could prove useful to my nights, my lady. Care to help?" I bowed to Ren, winking at her, but she shoved me away and withered my tongue with her glance.

"Let's see how good you are with this toy, eh?"

"My pleasure."

The way the weapon swung was reminiscint of the scythes I'd often seen peasants using in the field to cut wheat - they moved the curved weapons back and forth to rid the stalks of their useful grains, just as I swung the stick. The ball, however, didn't seem to want to follow, and the first time it struck my wrist, it left a stinging smack.

Edmund grinned. "I only hope my opponent has as much talent with his weapon as you do with yours. Perhaps something lighter for our pampered boy?"

"Quiet, forest elf. That bow and arrows will do you no good jammed into your-"