Chapter Two

It was more beautiful than she remembered. The landscape was full of colors popping everywhere from the varieties of flowers. Tall grasses gracefully danced with the soft breeze next to a small creek, and it complimented the blue sky perfectly. She stood there longer than she thought, taking it all in. Sure, Artemisia was pretty too, but it was man made, unnatural. She missed the wide open sky and trees and rivers and anything natural. Luna didn't have anything like this.

"Any day now, Cinder," Iko said, approaching her to her left. "I know you like looking at trees and leaves and water, but seriously, we need to get going." Cinder nodded. She needed to get settled down before the night of the ball. She was supposed to be staying at Kai's palace, along with Scarlet, Wolf, Cress, Thorne, Winter, and Jacin. She missed her friends so much and couldn't wait to see them; they had stood by her during the whole revolution and supported her.

She stepped off the ramp and paused the smell the fresh breeze and let the sun's rays soak in her skin. It felt so good to be back on Earth in New Beijing. She heard Iko mutter, "Now she's just showing off how she can feel warmth and stuff. Wow, thanks."

"Are you ready to go, Cinder?" Kinney asked her, carrying a suitcase in each hand. She felt a little guilty about him carrying all the stuff, but he insisted he come along and do it. She was pretty sure, though, that he just wanted to be with Iko, no matter how much he says he despises her. And he mentioned that he'd never been to Earth before.

They climbed into a hover waiting for them and headed off the the Emperor's palace.

-

Cinder groaned. She could already see reporters and journalists and who knows who else gathering at the entrance.  She glanced at Iko and Kinney, who shrugged. "Let's hope someone will be there to greet us and bring us to safety."

Sure enough, as Cinder exited the hover and became surrounded by throngs of people with cameras shouting questions at her, she saw thick, curly black hair next to black hair that was slicked back, though usually it was unkempt and messy. The two head pushed their way through and came closer until Cinder could finally see Winter and Kai.

Winter squealed and hugged Cinder. "You made it, thank the stars! We tried to keep all the people away, but you can see it didn't work. Sorry about that." Cinder grinned. "No worries, I was kind of expecting it."

"Were you? Guess you're used to it now." Cinder turned her attention to copper brown eyes and lips that every girl in the Eastern Commonwealth dreamed about. Kai. After two years of not talking one on one, it was a relief to hear his voice again. Before she could hug him, though, he said, "We should probably get inside before they break through. Hello, Iko and...Kinney?"

Kai nodded at the android and the guard, confusion on his face. Cinder shrugged. "He wanted to come. Let's just go inside." Kai nodded and took her hand, pulling her away from the crowd of people and towards the palace, with Winter on her right.

"So, is everyone else here? Am I your last guest to arrive?" Kai smiled and just pointed up ahead.

"See for yourself." Cinder looked and saw a girl with curly red hair with her back turned to her, along with Wolf, Cress, and Thorne.

"Hey guys, did I take too long?" Everyone turned towards Cinder and their faces filled with joy. She gave each of her friends a hug, though Wolf almost suffocated her.

"Did you miss me and my charm? Must've been lonely up there," Thorne said, winking. Cinder rolled her eyes.

"Your girlfriend is right next to you. And no, it was actually nice up there. Peaceful and quiet."  Thorne mocked being hurt.

"I can't believe you just said that! Everything's better when I'm around."

"We've been traveling the whole world and I've seen so many things. It was fun. I can't wait to continue after the ball!" Cress smiled at Thorne and he wrapped his arms around her.

"She's so cute when she discovers something new. You should've seen her face," Thorne replied. Cress blushed and everyone chuckled. 

"How's the farm? And..Wolf at the farm?" Cinder asked Scarlet.

She leaned towards Cinder and whispered, "I think he's going to be a pro tomato grower." They both laughed. Everyone thought it would be hard for Wolf to adjust to his new form at the farm, but it seems he was doing just fine.

Winter huffed. "Can we continue this discussion at the dinner room? I'm famished."

Suddenly, Scarlet and Cress glared at her. Winter noticed their looks and added cheerfully, "Maybe you should put your stuff away and get settled down before you join us."

Cinder raised an eyebrow, wondering why Winter changed her thoughts so quickly. "Yeah okay, I should probably do that." She gestured for Iko and Kinney to follow her. As she left, she thought she heard a sigh of relief from Kai.