CHAPTER 5 - AMBUSH

The bridal party was just two days underway from Jonthal on the coast to Leidwald, deep in the forests of Dalland. Two oxen pulled the wagon over the frozen road. One side of the leather hood was open, so that Swanfrid could converse with her new husband.

Young Ajkell Gudrofsen followed with the rear guard, his eyes alert and his hand never far away from his sword. Not that he expected any trouble. The sons of Gudrof came from a famous clan of bear totem warriors, and they were battle-ready even in their sleep. That was why Leidwald had hired their youngest son as bodyguard to their Holderling.

Ajkell looked at his master and mistress. He grinned. The bride, an avid huntress, was sulking at being cooped up in the with her young thrall maid and her wedding gifts, and Meili, her husband, was doing his best to coax her out of it. The Holderling was in a good mood and no wonder; he was young, healthy and proud of his new wife. The wedding had been a great success. Only the absence of Holder Brandr, Meili's father, had marred it, but the old man's heart wasn't strong enough for a long trip. Now there was a second feast awaiting them when they got home.

Ajkell's gaze went to the headman, a giant warrior in a mail shirt, with copper rings in his braided hair and his three-forked beard. His face looked carved in stone, his mouth grim.

It started to snow. Ajkell looked at the sky and sneezed. Rattling, the wagon went onward. The wheels crunched through the snow and the oxen trudged unperturbed. Holderling Meili said something to his young wife. It must have been funny, because Ajkell heard her laugh.

The young bear warrior looked up. Something felt wrong. The headman had noticed it, too. He looked around, his hands clasping the grip of his mighty ax. Then the snowflakes became spikes and the large man died, his body pierced by a dozen arrows.

Before the headman fell, Ajkell sprang forward and dragged the Holderling from his horse. 'Get under the wagon. Leave the fighting to me.' But a shaft had burrowed into Meili's back and the blood from his mouth ran down Ajkell's bear coat.

Around him, only three soldiers were still fighting, The young bride jumped from the back of the wagon with the new short bow that was her father's gift. She shot at the grim shadows in the snow and killed two of them, when others rounded the wagon and fell on her from behind. Ajkell ran to her aid and swung his sword. The first attacker collapsed with a bemused expression on his rolling head. While the young bear warrior turned to the next, he saw how one of the attackers stuck his short sword into Swanfrid's back. Her last arrow disappeared aimlessly amongst the snowflakes. Blood welled under her breasts, her festive robe colored pink and Ajkell yelled in desperation. His opponent went down with his helmet and his skull split. Panting, Ajkell looked around for the killer of his mistress. Then the stars in the sky burst in his head and all went black.

What made him wake up, were two hands plucking at his belt. He groaned and hit out with one arm, as if he wanted to chase away troublesome flies. Above him, he heard a muffled cry, and he opened his eyes. A child, a boy with a dirty face and fierce eyes stared at him. He had blood on his hands, his cheeks and his mismatched clothes. On his greasy hair sat Swanfrid's bridal wreath and in his fist, he had a knife.

'No,' said Ajkell and his hand grabbed the wrist with the knife. 'No, son of a lice-eaten bitch, keep your paws off me.'

A big grin spread over the filthy young face. 'You're alive. He thought you were dead and his men left. Yet you're alive. Let me go, oh Thor with the mighty muscles. Enjoy your life and let me go, before I lose him.'

Ajkell gritted his teeth against the pain in his head. 'Who's him?' he asked. 'And who are you?'

'I am nothing, Thor. I am a shadow. Too insignificant to kill. Or maybe I'm already dead.'