Family Ties

Mark's POV

      Y/N was strangely silent after we got out of the firm. We didn't really have any plans and weren't hungry enough for dinner, so we decided the best thing to do was just walk around town for a bit. Y/N looked like she was lot in her thoughts. I couldn't tell what she was thinking about, but I knew she was pretty shaken up about the whole Kent thing. 

Kent.

Just the thought of his name made me ball my fists in rage. I couldn't stand the guy. I knew it was going to be bad when I met him, but I wasn't prepared for how bad it was going to be. I looked over at Y/N. She and I were holding hands. I smiled. She was just the most beautiful girl I'd ever seen. I was glad to have her in my life. I needed her in my life. 

"You going to tell me what's on your mind Y/N?"

"Hmm? Oh yeah! Sorry, I got wrapped up in myself for a second. I was thinking about what Kent's fiancee, whatever her name is, was saying about secrets and dark sides. And I've been keeping something from you Mark, and it's kind of major. But I want you to know, and this is the right place to tell you. Not this exact spot, but you know, New Haven."

I gave her hand a small squeeze, "You can tell me anything Y/N. It won't change anything between us."

She took a deep breath, "It might. I want you to meet my parents."

That's it? No big deal. 

"Okay, I can do that. Should we call them and tell them we're coming?"

She shook her head, "No, they're already expecting us. There's a place we need to stop first."

We walked around for a bit before Y/N stopped in front of a small off the wall flower shop. 

"This is where my love for flowers started. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with my life. I got a part time job here when I was sixteen and fell in love with it. I made arranging flowers my life. C'mon, I want to pick up some flowers for my parents."

It was a quaint little shop. A little bell hung above the door and rang as we walked in. 

"I'll be with you in a minute!" A voice called out from the back.

"You have no idea how much of my life was spent in this shop," Y/N said quietly.

"It definitely beats working at a grocery store."

A woman who looked like she was in her fifties emerged from the back room. Her hair was put up into a messy bun and her hands were covered in sparkles. 

"How can I help y...Y/N?! Oh sweetheart it's been ages!"

Y/N giggled a bit and walked over to give her a hug. 

"I know Esther. I'm so sorry for not keeping in contact. A lot of crazy things have happened recently."

Esther glanced over to me, "So I can see," She walked over to me and held out her hand, "I'm Esther, Y/N's second mom."

I smiled and shook her hand, "I'm Mark. Y/N's boyfriend."

She turned back to Y/N, "He seems much better than Kent."

"That's actually why we came to town. Our divorce papers didn't go through, so we were technically still married."

"How much longer are you two in town?"

"Two more nights," Y/N stated, "Mark and I both have to get back to LA for work. We were actually about to go see my parents, thought I'd stop in for some flowers and say hi at the same time."

Esther smiled at Y/N, "Of course dear, let me go get you some." When Esther turned around I thought I saw a flicker of sadness go across her face, but brushed it off. After a few minutes she came back and handed Y/N a bouquet of white lilies. 

"Free of charge, tell them I said hi. And call me once in awhile, will ya?"

"Of course. Thank you Esther."

After Y/N had given her another hug, and I had said my goodbyes we went on our way.

Your POV 

Breathe in, breathe out. Breathe in, breathe out.

I held the lilies in one hand, and Mark's hand in another. I knew this day would eventually have to come. I couldn't keep my family a secret for much longer. I don't even know why I bothered to make it a secret. I could've told Mark months ago and then I wouldn't be stuck in the position I am now.

Sucks to suck I guess.

I knew where we were going, but I didn't want Mark to figure it out to quickly. We walked in silence as I guided him to our destination. After about fifteen minutes of walking we arrived.

New Haven Memorial Grounds.

      I didn't dare look over at Mark. I didn't want to know what he was thinking. I froze. I didn't know what to do. It felt like we were standing at the entrance for hours. Finally Mark spoke. His grip tightened on my hand and he started walking forward.  

"C'mon," he said softly, "I want to meet them, but I don't know where they are."

It didn't take us very long to get to where my parents were buried. 

"Hey mom, hey dad," I whispered as I knelt down next to the tombstones, placing the bouquet in the middle of them. Mark sat down in the grass next to me. 

"These are my parents Mark. The only real family I ever had. All of my grandparents passed away before I was old enough to remember them, and I didn't have any siblings. They were killed in a drunk driving accident. That's why I don't drink, it took away my parents," I paused for a minute unsure of how to continue, "They would've loved you. I'm sure of it."

"And I'm sure I would've loved them. Thank you for letting me meet them Y/N. You didn't need to keep this a secret though, this doesn't change anything."

I sighed, "I know. I don't know why I was worried."

He wrapped an arm around my waist, pulled me close and kissed me on the forehead.

"I love you," He whispered. 

"I love you too."

Mark's POV

It was around two in the morning, but I couldn't sleep. I just ran my fingers through Y/N's hair and listened to her breathe as she snuggled close to me in bed. These past two months with her have been so eventful. I wouldn't take any of it back though. She made me feel complete. I wondered if she felt the same way. I wouldn't admit it to her, but those same words of dark sides and secrets shook me up. I wasn't worried about anything she was hiding. I trust her. I love her.

"And what about your dark side Mark? When are you going to tell her about that?" A voice rang out in my head.

"As long as I can keep you away from her, I won't have to tell her. I'll protect her from you."

"I'm still you, Mark. Just the dark side. And uh, good luck with that "protection" thing. Let's see how well that works out."