Chapter one: Sharks and Seagulls

Arian's POV:
"Come one Flounder, hurry up!" I giggled out as I turned around a gigantic brittle grey rock, my bright red hair gliding graciously through the crystal blue salt water as I flipped my fin, propelling myself forward. A smile plastered on my face, golden beams of light coming down from the surface of the water hundreds of feet above my head. A soft melody escaped my lips as I planted myself in one spot, waiting for the arrival of flounder.

Flounder was a large round yellow fish, rather larger than my head mind you, with pointed vertical sea blue streaks, he was hardly a flounder but his parents insisted that be his name. He was my best friend in this entire world, not that he had that much competition in that department.

"I'm coming Arian! You know I can't swim as fast as you!" Flounder whined, causing laughter erupt from my throat. Something about everything he has an underlying hilarity to it that could he never seem to notice. He finally approached me, his gills moving more furiously than they usually would be. "So, what're we doing out here again?"

"I told you, I heard about an abandoned ship or something like that. It's supposed to be really cool, I really wanna check it out," that's when I spotted it, a wooden ship more than 60 yards long with a 70 foot mast. There was no sail, it had long faded into the water. Dozens of holes and broken off pieces, including the very front of the ship which sat at the ocean floor bed. It must've been here for years, never have I seen something that interested me more than this one abandoned, wrecked ship.

"Wow..." Flounder muttered quietly, he was obviously as speechless as me. "Arian maybe this is a bad idea, i-it might be dangerous in there."

"Come on, Don't be such a guppy, it'll be fun," I teased. Guppy grunted in an irritated manner but reluctantly followed me as I propelled myself closer towards the ship. I reached the ship and slowly glided my fingers against the splintery wooden surface. I'd seem wood a few times floating on the top of the water and I've been told that it grows on tall stiff plants on land. Oh land, a place no merman like me had ever visited but that I longed to go more badly than I could ever imagine.

I skipped my slim body through a hole in the broken hull of the ship. I was hardly in the ship when I realized my bag no longer hung on my shoulder, I looked back and saw it caught on the hole from which I came into the ship. I swam back and gripped the bag between my fingers and carefully unwound it from the wood just as flounder reached the ship. I turned back around and an object of shiny metal glinted in my eye. I gasped and swam to it. I reached out to touch it, the slick surface between my fingers. It was like a tiny trident, a shaft of a few inches long that extended into four sharp individual prongs.

I couldn't resist and shoved it into my bag greedily. I had a thing for nick-knacks and human artifacts. I even have an entire cavern full of them, which only founder and I know about it. It's our private place, where we can be alone without the interruption of my sisters, father or servants. Where we could just talk for hours, about our dreams and ambitions and secret desires. I founded another small object, with a curved surface that began very narrow and ended in a much large circular hole. It looked much like a much smaller dark brown wooden version of the horns our servants used to signal our arrival back at the castle.

"Arian I don't want to go in there," flounder pouted from outside the hole.

"Fine, you can just watch for sharks out there, alone," I said nonchalantly without turning around to face him, I knew that he'd get scared and come in the ship. I was cunning and devious but I wasn't sorry for it.