Chapter 2: History

History - past relations that connect two people

"Look, I know we never really got along, but I really want to close this deal."

I closed the manila folder and folded my hands in my lap. "I would like to close this deal as well, Mr. Croft. But exactly what do you propose?"

Brad sat up straighter from the opposite side of the conference table. "So, I was thinking we could invite Dominguez to an outing of sorts."

"Go on."

"Like a dinner, you know, some food and alcohol-"

"Are you suggesting getting him drunk?" I replied absently.

"Yes! Wait, no, that's not what I meant. Like, just a little way to loosen him up a bit. He works all the time and has vultures flying around him all day. I'm sure he'll appreciate it."

"Brad, you want to know something interesting?"

He relaxed from his position, "What?"

"In this world, the real world, we are the vultures."

He looked at me with that blank stare of his. "What do you mean?"

I pull my hair out of frustration. "You want to give him a break from all these buyers, but we are the buyers. Why would he even want to dine with us when he knows our motives?"

"Oh...right."

"Right." I hissed.

Brad the dipshit is a dumb fuck. But he's a dumb fuck with money. Two hours after that stupid conversation in the conference room, he managed to pull some strings. We are now waiting outside Tia Lucy's Restaurant. Dominguez should be showing up any minute now, and dipshit is so nervous he looks like he's going to faint.

"What if we ruin it?" 

"What if you ruin it?"

"What if he doesn't like us?"

"What if he doesn't like you?"

"What if this all fails?"

"That's not going to happen."

Brad stopped pacing and looked to me, "How do you know that?"

"Because I would shoot myself before ever failing." I pulled my coat closer to fight against the wind.

A black car pulled up right in front of us. Brad and I stood together and straightened up. This is it. We could be closing this deal tonight and it'll all be over. I'll never have to breathe in the same air as this ass beside me.The door swung open, and I did not expect what I saw next. 

The devil stepped out of the car.

With her red lipstick, and all black suit. She put her hair up and looked like she was ready to drag men to hell with her. Her eyes found mine and she smiled. "Don't start the party without me."

I looked at Brad with contempt. He flinched and stepped back.

"You two ready to close this deal?" she came to stand beside me.

I grunted carelessly and Brad nodded furiously. No doubt so he could get away from me. Just then, another car pulled up. This time it was him. He came out the car with his three body guards. Why he needed them, who the hell knows. 

We were seated right away because Dominguez invested in Tia Lucy's and the only repayment he had asked for was a seat whenever he came. A man like that - a man with heart - was rare to find in this industry. And it was always men like him that fell the hardest at the end of the day.