Chapter 17

Me and my whole family sat around the Christmas tree, with the Menorah too of course, I was half Jewish. The whole house was filled with red, green and a little bit of blue. I couldn't have felt luckier that I had such a wonderful family to spend the holidays with. Every year we had a tradition to donate half our allowances to needy families during the holidays but Alex always ended up hiding some quids under his mattress.

I stared down at my blinking lit up reindeer sweater, wondering how I agreed to wearing it. Mum hugged me close to her and Dad made us all steaming hot cocoa, and me a vanilla latte just the way I liked it. As we all sat around the tree cross-legged, Alex shouted "Me first!" And handed me a cylinder wrapped box. I opened it slowly and saw a can of peanuts. I was puzzled for a bit and failed to see Alex's look of satisfaction before I opened it and a ton of confetti sprung into my face. Mum looked alarmed and I was stunned more than anything, while Alex and Dad were rolling on the floor, laughing in glee. Like father, like son, I guess.

I got Alex an actual present. Tickets to see his favorite team's football championships. And then Mum got Dad a vintage coffee machine that she found at the flea market. I got Dad all the Bristol University spirit clothes and Mum the pearl necklace that I had saved up all the money I had from helping out extra at the hospital. It was so wonderful seeing my family so happy for once in a long time. Bills were hard to pay and pay was getting low. I had helped out everyday that I could when I was a teen but now, I wouldn't be able to do anything for the next 5 years. I broke the news about my internship to Mum yesterday and she took it surprisingly well.

Finally, it was my turn. Mum handed me a flat, square box and I expected it to be some kind of jewelry. I whipped off the top of the box and was surprised to see 3 small pieces of paper. When I realized what they were I started to literally scream at the top of my lungs. I ran the room around and around like a little small child. I finally stopped to look at the paper. A plane ticket, from Heathrow to LAX. I almost ran into Mum and Dad and hugged them as if it was the last time I'd ever get to. "Thank you, Thank you, THANK YOU!!!!!!" Alex just stared at his stack of video games, and then back at me in jealousy. I guess this was payback for the can of confetti.

Then there was the one little blip in my happiness. "Look at what else is in the box, honey." Mum hinted. I put the plane ticket on the floor, to reveal a brochure. It read "Uni Abroad". That wasn't it, it would be incredible to do my studies in L.A. It was just that the dates on on the bottom read 2013 program: January 31st- December 15th. An entire year without Jack. I tried my best to look excited, and don't get me wrong, I was, but I just couldn't focus as Mum trailed on about all the new experiences I would have. "And we get a discount since Bristol sponsors the program, and you get to start with a clean state, make lifelong friends..."

"Can I be excused for a moment, I just need to check on something." I felt bad for interrupting her when she looked so happy but I still walked away as quickly as I could, locked the door and just layed for a few minutes on my bed. I needed time to think this through. What would I choose? The opportunity to fullfill my dreams or the dream that I never expected? It was exactly the choice that I never wanted to make when I first started dating him. My thoughts were interrupted by the buzz of my phone, and the caller was none other than Jack Harries himself. I panicked for a moment, wondering what I would say to him. I finally picked up the phone. "Hey."

"Merry Christmas, beautiful."

"Same from here, baby. Can I talk to you in person? Meet me at the Islington Angel Station? It's important."

"I actually really wanted to talk to you in person too. Tomorrow, 12 in the morning?"

"That sounds good. I'll see you there. " I clicked end on my phone and then my heart started to beat a thousand times a second. I was absolutely positively, freaking out. Was this is it? Was this going to be the end to the most wonderful ride of my life? What about a long distance relationship? No! God, everyone knows those never work! Even me, the poor, frizzy-haired, nerdy girl who never in her life had cool clothes or pretty makeup and would never even fathom that a boy not to mention an internet sensation boy would ever, ever love her. 

I suddenly remembered what i was going to do the day I snuck into the theatre. I was going to tell him that I needed to stay away but instead we became boyfriend and girlfriend that day. The best day of my life. What if it turned out that way again, going there to tell him we needed to break up but instead telling him I was giving up going to LA to be with him?

I had no idea of what would happen. But right now, I just needed to enjoy this day with my family. The calm before the storm. 

A/N: Hey, guys, sorry it took so long to update, but right now the story is building up to the end. I'm thinking twenty chapters, please, please, please give me some feedback on what to do for my next story! Another fanfic? A romance, a mystery? Should I do a sequel to this one? It's up to the readers!!!!!! Love ya guys!!!! Remember to leave any suggestions in the comments!