Chapter 34 : Tables turned!

Start from the beginning

After a lot of stammering she finally spoke.

"It's like.."

"Aarti stop going round about", I cut her through.

"Okay, my brother agreed for our marriage and he wants to meet you today over dinner," she said it as though the entire sentence was just a syllable.

"What?" that was the only reaction that came out. My mind was definitely not ready to digest what I had just heard.

"Yes, you heard it right my love!" she said as she smiled. I stayed silent for few seconds. I looked out of the window as she cut the call. I was elated and I could feel my feet floating with joy.

I looked out of the window as a flash passed by. My eyes were clogged with the memories we both had treasured. The wait we both did was over. I was surprised to know that Aman had agreed without my intervention, but I was keen to know the reason for his previous traumatic behaviour. I wanted to talk to him and give an assurance as to his sister shall be treated like a queen in a castle built by me with all her desires fulfilled to the last ounce. I left the auditorium waiting for the dinner.

It was around seven when Dhruv got back home. He came straight to my room and I ran to hug him the moment he arrived. He patted my back and settled on the bed as I told him about Aarti's call. He suggested me to dress up well; according to him, first impressions would help in getting those extra brownie points. I decided to buy a bottle of champagne. I knew her brother loved to get some drinks at any point of the day. Aarti had clearly told me to be at her place by nine sharp. I avoided the bike and booked a cab instead. The driver played some old hindi songs that were rich with lines and emotions. I enjoyed my ride to her house. I was excited than nervous for the first time. I was eager to meet her brother. I was keen to know things and tell him that his perception about me was wrong. More than anything, I knew I would have Aarti forever from now on.

I got down the car and turned towards the gate as the cab left from behind. Stepping forward I let out a deep sigh. I looked down to have a check on my dressing. I had worn a white shirt and teamed it up with a denim. This basic attire was the easiest to pull off anything safely. Rubbing my left shoe against my sock, I moved onto opening the gate. I stood in-front of the door and did my final rehearsal of what I was supposed to talk and how I was supposed to behave. It seemed like a love exam and I could not fail in this. I rang the bell. The door opened and there she stood.

A long blue skirt flowing elegantly, to go with that a white floral print top, loosely tucked in. The eye liner that extended slightly more than usual made her eyes worth yearning for. The subtle make up only proved the fact that she did not need any extra things to enhance her beauty. She stood at the door step and kept smiling. She looked at me from head to toe and in awe, she made an expression as though she was seeing me for the first time. I looked at her raising a brow in question. She nodded her head and called me in.

My heart was trembling within the closet as I moved into the living area. Aman stood right there, with his gaze fixed onto mine. He had put on a few kilos since the last time I had seen him. I went ahead and handed the bottle of champagne with a smile on my face.

"How are you?" I asked. He took the bottle from my hand and went walking to the dinning table. "I am good," he said as he walked. I don't think I saw a smile as he walked ahead. Well, to expect it from him was a huge thing. I slowly moved towards the table rubbing my palm. Aarti came along and went into the kitchen.

Aman was hugely built, a few marks on his face complimented his stature. It would definitely pass on chills to people who met him for the first time. He opened the bottle and poured two glasses.