Prologue~The Boy With The Blue Hair

Start from the beginning

He was a good head taller than Heather, with a lean build that was by no means skinny. Heather thought he looked like he would be very graceful, like her dance teacher Miss Hannah. 

He had to be a couple of years older than her, Heather decided, at least eight or nine. However, his eccentric features held absolutely no age. She wasn't exactly sure how old he was, but she did feel slightly envious, wishing that she was as big as him.

As she observed the boy's height and his build  she realized his physique wasn't what was strange about the young boy. 

Maybe it was the fact that his hair, which was on the longer side, and shaggy, was the brightest shades of blue that Heather had ever seen, and moved about as though it were alive, even though there was no wind.

Maybe it was his piercing eyes, which were such a light icy chlorine that they were almost white. They were so intense, that Heather felt as though her feet had been nailed to the ground as he stared at her with them, making her unable to move.

Maybe it was the clothes that he wore, the fancy kind that Heather had only seen in old fashioned story books, but had never seen on a real person before. The material was silvery and flowed down the boy's  body and instead of shoes he had what looked like soft pieces of leather wrapped around his feet. 

Maybe it was all three.

Heather took a step back, feeling nervous. "Are you a gypsy?" she questioned with wide eyes. He hadn't look like what she thought a gypsy would look like, but she had to make sure, just incase. "My Grandma says not to talk to them."

The boy laughed, a soothing sound that streamed from his mouth, reminding Heather of running water. Because she was so attentive on the boy, she noticed he never anwered her question, he simply repeated what he had stated before. 

"I can fix it."

He has a beautiful voice, Heather thought. Soft and velvety, like the coat her Grandma had brought her for Christmas. The boy held out his hands, an invitation. Heather only paused for a second before taking a step forward over the line of light and dark. Instantly she felt uncomfortable but she ignored the feeling and slipped the butterfly gently into the boys hands, quickly taking a step back into the light. She felt as though a great weight had been lifted from her little shoulders and she breathed a quiet sigh of relief.

The boy regarded her curiously, ignoring the wavering life she hand just deposited into his hands. When he didn't look away fro several minutes, she looked pointedly to the butterfly as though reminding him of what he had said he would do. He looked down at his hands in surprise before turning his  icy gaze back to Heather, his bright blue hair moving a second behind his motions, as though gravity did not affect it. 

"What will you give me?"

She pulled her cupped hand towards her chest. "Pardon?"

Suddenly, the boys face and eyes hardened coldly, and he tilted his head a little to the side, observing her through narrowed eyes. After a moment of analyzing her, the boy's face softened once again and he whispered, "You heard me."

Heather looked at this boy, he was indeed very curious. She clasped her little hands in front of her, smoothing down the front of her white dress. Did he like her dress? He kept looking at it, that was for sure. "What do you want?"

The boy looked thoughtful for a moment. "I want ... your friendship. Be my friend and I will fix your butterfly so it will live to see many more days."