"You could always go dance with Jude. I heard a rumor that Nate wanted to ask me to the dance but was too afraid I'd kick him between the legs too," Sonnet said. "Go keep the poor boy company."

"Uh, no thanks. I'll just dance alone," I said.

The limo stopped and the four of us got out. We went inside, giving our tickets and looking around. The place was huge, with music shaking the rooms and kids packed onto a dance floor, lights flashing. There was an upper section with tables and food on one side and a photo booth on the other side.

"You coming with me?" Sonnet asked.

"Nah, I'll be fine," I said. She shrugged and went off to go find her friends.

"Do you want to dance, Ethan?" Benji asked.

"Yea, sure," I said, trying not to let my sinking mood show. Everyone seemed to be here with friends or a date.

We threw ourselves into the packed crowd and began to dance around. Benji and Gideon laughed as they bumped into each other, pushed by other dancing kids. Gideon slipped an arm around Benji's waist, kissing him and holding him close as they danced.

I let myself dissolve into the crowd, away from the two of them. I slipped out and went over to some chairs in the corner, dropping into the farthest one and trying to blend in with the wall.

As I watched kids dance through the songs, my thoughts turned darker and darker. I desperately fought away the loneliness, wishing I could be like everyone else and have a friend group to dance with. Wishing Will could be here. Wishing I had never gotten my hopes up for some perfect night.

I knew it wasn't Will's fault that he was busy, but I also knew he had never wanted to come in the first place. And why would he? He'd already been to his own senior prom back when he was in high school.

And so the night went on. I caught glimpses of Benji and Gideon as they hung out with the soccer team and some of their other friends. I saw Sonnet and a group of girls laughing and dancing together, having a good time. I even saw Jude Tibbits dancing with some hot guy, Nate and two girls dancing together nearby. Everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves.

"Alright folks," the DJ said as the night neared its end. "We're going to slow this one down for the couples!"

Some kids cheered and others grumbled as they moved off the dance floor. I dropped my head, gripping at my pants nervously. Why was I so damn upset about this? It was just a stupid dance. Just a stupid goddamn dance.

The music started, slow and easy. The lights had dimmed and couples were dancing close together, swaying with each other. Just one more experience I'd never get to have.

Someone grabbed my arm and my head jerked up in surprise as I was yanked to my feet. My eyes widened in surprise as Will, out of breath, tugged me towards the dance floor.

"I've been looking everywhere for you," he panted. "Come on, it's still the beginning of the song."

We hit the dance floor and he pulled me close to his body. I stared at him in surprise, because he was dressed in a tux that was just a little too small for him.

Will caught me looking and blushed a little. "It's the one from when I was a senior," he grumbled.

"Why are you here?" I asked at last.

"Because it's your prom," he said, as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"But...your show...you're going to get fired from your positon if it's not done!" I said.

"I did what I could. I texted Sonnet about an hour ago and told her to text me 20 minutes before the couple song would come on. She said she would try to find you and tell you, but she said she never managed to find you." He pressed his forehead against mine, drawing me even closer to himself. "I wasn't going to make you sit alone when we should be dancing."

"Who are you and what have you done with the asshole I fell in love with," I said, hearing how my voice choked up a little. Shit, there I go again.

He kissed me, slow as the music we danced to. His hands were on my back, holding me, letting me know that I wasn't alone anymore.

"Stop being lovey and romantic. You're ruining my plans of cherry popping your sister," I said once he had stopped kissing me.

He scowled, flooding me with relief. "You're not doing anything to my sister, you pervert!"

"There's the asshole I love," I said, hugging him. "Thanks for making it, Will." I guess I got my perfect night after all.

Will tried to keep his scowl, but a smile flickered across his face anyways. "Quit talking and let's dance."