Chapter Three

Chapter Three

Scott's P.O.V

WHAT?!

That guy's brother is...

Grace is engaged to...

My brain was tripping itself up with all these thoughts, but the biggest one was definitely WHO IS THAT GUY'S BROTHER?!

Well, said the logical part of my brain. Who looks like him and has a scar on the back of their neck? I couldn't answer the latter, however...

Let's see, It's not me that's for sure.

Can't be Kirstie... Or Kevin... Or Avi... Which means that it has to be...

"Mitch?" It came out as a question. Mitch himself was sitting on the couch next to Grace. He was staring at the floor, shaking hands on his knees and white in the face. He stood and touched the back of his neck, something that I had noticed he had a habit of doing in concerts. Brushing away Kirstie's outstreached hand, he walked over to the window.

"How long?" His voice was quiet as he asked the question.

"What do you mean?" Grace seemed confused. Mitch turned to face us.

"I mean how long have you been running from him? And what were you planning to do?"

Grace sighed.

"I've been running for about three weeks. I was going to try to catch a plane and then call the police from somewhere else. But he follwed me."

"Couldn't you have just pretended everything was alright and then called the police from where you were?" Mitch's voice had a slight accusing tone to it.

"That's what I was going to do, but I accidently put the newspaper clipping on top of the diary, so after dinner that night when I was cleaning up, he put a knife against my throat and threatened to kill me if he even suspected that I had called the police." She took a deep shuddering breath.

"Before, when I was in the bathroom, he texted me saying that he knew where I was. I freaked out and started to hyperventilate, which is why I fainted. Then when he knocked at the door just now,  he texted me again saying that I better be ready to come quietly. I can't be sure if he saw Mitch or not but if he did he-" She was cut off by her phone buzzing on the table.

Grace froze. Slowly and cautiously, she picked up her phone and turned it over.

"It's from him." Her voice was barely a whisper. She opened the message and read it aloud to us.

"Well, my darling, you seem to be in a bit of a tight spot. Don't think I don't know who you're with. Think I'm bluffing? Is that why I can truthfully say that I saw you, clutching the arm of my no good brother? Although you may think that you're safe with him and his friends, just know that if I see anyone of them, especially Mitch, I'll make sure that they pay for trying to stand between us. We've missed our wedding darling, and you know I'm not happy about that. I'm pretty sure that you'll be reading this aloud to them. This isn't like you, normally it takes you ages to settle. Is it because you're just so intent on saving him? Is that it? If so, then know this: I may be outnumbered, but do any of you new found friends have what it takes to pull a trigger? You know I do. I could just come in there right now and shoot everybody, but what's the fun in that? You know how much I love a game and this is a very good game. Enjoy your friends while you still can, darling.

Lots of love,

Michael Grassi xoxo"

Kirstie's P.O.V

I was reeling with the things I had discovered:

1) Mitch has a twin brother

2) His brother is a psyco

3) Grace is engaged to Mitch's brother

4) Grace has been running from Mitch's brother for three weeks

5) We are all in danger from this crazy guy

"What do we do now?" Scott asked.

I slowed my breathing and tryed to collect my thoughts but Avi, being typical Avi, already had a plan.

"First things first, we can't stay here. He definitely knows that both Grace and Mitch are here, so the best thing to do would be to move away." Avi stood and began to pace up and down the room. Suddenly he stopped.

"Kevin, you go check outside, see if he's still there."

Kevin nodded, jumped up and marched out of the room. We waited for him to return, everybody wondering what Avi was planning.

Kevin came back, looking slightly panicked.

"He's across the road. I think he's waiting for someone to come out." Kevin seemed out of breath. Avi nodded.

"Thanks Kev. Now, let's work this out." He pointed at me.

"Kirstie, you take Grace back to your house. She'll be safer there." I nodded, wondering what was going on in that mind of his. He pointed at Scott.

"You take Mitch to your place. It will be best if we're together, but not at first. Kevin and I will go together and drive somewhere. Hopefully he'll follow us. Wait until he's gone. If he doesn't leave, head out the back door and climb over the gate. Otherwise, wait five minutes then leave togther and go to your assigned places. Later on, When Kevin and I have lost him, we'll swing round and pick you guys up. I can take you out to my sister's place and we can hide there until we work out what to do."

We all nodded, then Kevin and Avi went and got into Avi's car. Scott went to the front door and watched through the window. He came back saying that Michael had followed them on a motorbike. We waited five silent minutes, everybody too nervous to talk, and then checked again. He still wasn't there so Mitch and Scott drove off to Scott's house, while Grace and I sped off to my apartment. When we got there, I quickly hustled her inside. Once we were in, I offered her something to eat. She politely refused, saying if she ate, she might vomit. I nodded in understanding.

It was almost 11 by the time there was a knock on the door. Avi stood outside, waiting anxiously for us. He hurried us down the hall, explaining that we probably didn't have much time.

"We lost him, but I'm pretty sure he's around this area."

We reached the car, which was parked in the bushes. Kevin was waiting inside looking almost as anxious as Avi. Grace and I climbed in the back, and it was only then that I realised that we would soon have six people in a five seater car. I raised the issue with Avi. He nodded.

"I know. We'll just have to squish in."

We arrived at Scott's place in no time. This time Kevin went and fetched Mitch and Scott. Soon enough, we were heading off to Esther's house. The seating order went: Avi driving, Kevin sitting up front, then it's me, then Grace, then Mitch and then Scott in the back. I noticed Grace was looking exhasted. I whispered to her,

"You can sleep on me if you want, I promise I won't mind." She nodded and rested her head on my shoulder. In less than a minute she was fast asleep. I smlied. Poor girl, couldn't be any older than twenty and she's running from a murderer. About half an hour had passed when Grace mumbled something in her sleep and rolled over so that she was sleeping on Mitch instead. He looked at her in surprise. Then she began to wimper, so he carefully put an arm around her and pulled her in close. She stopped wimpering and snuggled into his side. Mitch looked at me and then rested his head on top of Grace's. Pretty soon they were both asleep. I sighed to myself. It wasn't fair that two such young, kind and beautiful people had to have their lives ruined because of one man. So I swore to myself then that I would do anything I could to help them.

The sun was just rising when we arrived at Esther's house. Avi parked the car in her drive way and gave a deep sigh. Before anyone even moved, the front door of the blue and white house flew open and Esther came marching down the path, a look of anger on her face.