A Day with Derek

Chapter 3

Lowell's P.O.V.

Never would I ever have ever skipped work to hang out with a guy. I've never even felt so strongly about somebody before Derek. What was I thinking? I'd only met him once before, at the gas station. Then he took me to his place, and now I'm skipping work to run off with him?

Love sucks.

Well, maybe not.

We exited the house, which was clearly unsuitable for anyone to live in. It looked burnt. The wood was falling off the house.

"You live here?" I asked.

"It's not in the best shape, but I kinda like it." Kinda like it? It's the middle of the woods. And it's falling apart.

"You have an interesting choice of houses." He grabbed my hand, which sent needle-like prickles up my arm. He gave me that gorgeous smile I'd fallen for at the gas station.

"You ready?"

"I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be ready for, but I guess so." I smiled back at him.

"What do you want to do first?"

I thought about this for a moment. I could do anything in the world with him right now, but did I want most? "Let's take a walk in the woods and get to know each other a little better."

"As you wish." My heart exploded into a thousand tiny butterflies in my chest. That'll never get old.

"So, where are you originally from?" He asked.

"I was born in North Carolina, but we moved to Chicago, Illinois because of my dad's job. And that's where my sister and I grew up. She loves the city, but I've always longed for the country. That's why I love Beacon Hills so much."

"Because it's not a big city." Derek said. I looked at him, and he looked down at the ground as we walked. I knew something was wrong.

"What is it?" He looked at me.

"Nothing. I was just thinking about stuff."

"Should I stop asking about it?" He smiled and my heart skipped a beat.

"Yeah, but it's just personal things that I don't really want others to know about." I was okay with that. I didn't want him to feel like I was snooping.

"So, what is your back story?" His smile faded a little. I could already tell that his life was rough.

"Well, pretty much, I had a girlfriend my freshmen year at high school here in Beacon Hills." He grew up here. He must have lived here his whole life. "We were really happy, but she died. In a car wreck." His smile was gone. He looked really sad, so he must have loved her. But there was something that he wasn't telling me.

"Have you ever dated since?" He nodded.

"Yeah, but she only used me to get closer to someone else. That same year, my house burned down while my sister and I were at school. Only my uncle Peter survived." He took a breath. "But, I have not dated since her." before I could say anything, his phone rang in his pocket. He pulled it out.

"What the hell do you want Scott?...Yes, I am busy....No, I cannot....I have no idea what that is....I will call you back later....Fine. Bye." He hung up and put his phone back in his pocket. "Sorry about that. My friend just needed to ask me something. I'll call him later."

"You sure?" He nodded and we began to walk again. He put his arm around my shoulders and my body was filled with warmth. His cologne filled my nose, and it smelled wonderful.

"Are you cold?" I shook my head, but in reality I was. "Here." He took off his black leather jacket and handed it to me with a smile.

"Thank you." I smiled back and put it on, and I was instantly warm. It was much too big for me, but I didn't care. I looked at him and saw that his grey shirt showed off how muscular he was. If I didn't know how to keep my cool, I'd probably melt. He put his muscular arm around my shoulders and, out of complete instinct, I put my arm around his back. And as crazy as it sounds, it felt right. Derek made me feel complete. Like I was missing a puzzle piece, and Derek was it.