Chapter 63: The Uchiha Prodigy [Shippuden]

Start from the beginning

"That a fair assumption, and correct but how did you know I was here?" I asked and he shrugged.

"You tend to come back here when things are about to greatly change. You returned before you left the first time, and again the second. Your brothers are about to try to kill each other, you don't know where you stand. I knew you'd come back eventually to try to figure it out" He replied.

"So what, you've just been coming here to check since the word spread of Orochimaru's death." I asked and he shook his head.

"Not until after the platoons were sent out, I knew it was still to early then" I stared at him for a while as he returned to sipping his tea.

"Your intelligence is terrifying" I said and he chuckled.

"I just know you Rin" He replied simply and I finally took a sip of the tea.

"How long have I been out?"

"A few hours maybe, you were still sitting up when I got here but there was no waking you up. I tried" He stated and I nodded.

"I've done nothing but train the past few weeks, I guess it finally caught up to me" I replied taking another sip of tea.

"Now its your turn, why are you here?" He questioned.

"It's like you said, I need to figure things out. Sasuke and Itachi's fight will be starting soon if it hasn't already begun and I need to pick a side."

"Why?" I was a little startled by his question. I just commented on how terrifyingly intelligent he was and he can't even figure this out.

"Because...." I stopped, of course he knew why. Because Sasuke hated Itachi, and Itachi wasn't going to just stop this fight.

"I don't know" I replied with a sigh.

"It's not like either of them are the perfect older brother, but they're still my older brothers and it's not fair that I have to chose which one dies" He nodded slightly and I tensed when his fingers grazed my hand as he took the empty cup.

"Whoever you chose will tip the battle in their favour" He confirmed.

"I know; it makes the decision harder"

"Have you tried a pros and cons list?"

Shikamaru

The look that Rin gave me in response was slightly amusing. I was really just trying to lighten the mood. It was true, ever since they deployed Kakashi-Sensei, Captain Yamato, Sakura, Naruto, Sai, Hinata, Kiba and Shino I had started coming here. I made it into a daily walk. I knew Rin well enough that she'd eventually show up and also knew her well enough that she wouldn't have taken care of herself while here. I had been right on all points.

"There are more cons than pros" She admitted.

"Then screw it. The whole situation is troublesome. If they destroy each other then your problems are solved"

"But I don't want that Shikamaru, I've dedicated my entire life around the promise I made my father. I threw away everything just to save my idiot brothers. I can't just stand by and let this happen"

"Then don't" I replied simply.

"But then I have to chose a side" She reminded and I sighed as I met her gaze.

"Rin, I will never understand why or even how you can love either of them. They don't deserve it, and it's not healthy or fair to you." I said firmly.

"And I don't think either of them deserve to have you on their side. You've spent your life protecting them and this is how they repay you? Sasuke tried to kill you and Itachi has stood by letting the Akatsuki treat you like garbage. Why should you choose either of them? So just screw it and don't" She stared at me, her dark eyes focused as she looked me over.