Chapter 2: Velvet Heels

Chapter 2

Velvet Heels

Emerii Davidson

It was about mid-afternoon and I decided to get off of work a little early. I had lunch plans with Marius, my boyfriend, and for some reason my gay friend Cameron wanted to tag along, but Marius did not mind. As I walked from my office my secretary, Karmen, paid well attention to me; she apparently noticed a difference in my tempo of walk.

“Hey Emerii,” Karmen spoke as I just came close to her desk. “Where are you going in such a hurry, chica? Got a hot date huh?” Her spanish accent used to be very thick a few years back, just like mine was as a teenager, but over the years it has loosened.

“And so what if I do Karmen? Why is it so important?”

“Well, it must be important, Cameron has been blabbering about it all morning.”

“Has he now? We shall see about that.” I walked towards the elevator where Cameron and I agreed to meet, he was already there of course, as eager as the peach pink shirt he was wearing.

“You look fabulous in that red dress,” Cameron said. “It brings out those milk chocolate brown eyes of yours, and that caramel skin tone of yours.....oh, I wish I could be that tan.”

“Maybe you can,” I smiled. “Go to a tanning booth blondie,” I said as I walked into the elevator when it opened, and he followed. “Why have you been blabbering about my lunch date?”

“Oops, I’m sorry, I’m just excited, I get to meet this latino man candy of yours.”

“You know everyone can’t know where I’m going, some of these men are stalkers.”

“Oh, that’s true, men here do love those hot tamales, I mean your deep chocolate hair and that beautiful tan skin is enough to get attention, but honey once they hear that accent it’s like attracting a moth to a flame.”

I rolled my eyes at him as we left the elevator and walked out of our building, VelvetVeils Inc. to my cherry black Ferrari. “Well, don’t do it again.”

“I promise I won’t. Oh can we go to the mall after, They’re having a big sale at Macy’s”

“No, Cameron.”

“Oh please, pretty please,” he begged.

“Ok fine, but only one stop, I have other things to do.”

“Yay, I knew you loved me.”

As we got in I put the car in drive to head to the cafe where I was meeting Marius that was a few blocks over. While Cameron was singing to a famous pop song as I drove, I happened to look up at some of the advertising posters. But only one stuck out to me, one was the poster of a man smiling such a cheesy model shot smile and at the bottom it read: Globalvyne, we’ll look out for you.

I knew that company all too well, they were one of our rivals, we’ve always outranked them with the highest numbers, but for some reason I feel this year may be different...that for some reason they may have an advantage. But one thing I do have that they don’t is the other companies charts, secrets, and what they plan on doing, but I somehow needed to get theirs. When we got to the cafe, Marius was already there waiting patiently, and already greeting me with a smile as I got out of the car.

“Hello honey,” Marius said sweetly as he kissed my cheek. “How has your day been?”

“Normal, but now it just got so much better.”

“Good,” he smiled. “Where’s your friend?” I looked around for Cameron and then he got out the car with a huge smile on his face.

“Hola mi amigos,” Cameron said. “That is right, right? Anyway, sorry it took so long, I had to fix my hair.”