First Glances (Chapter Preview)

"For homosexuality is a sin! " The preacher yelled.

"Abomination!" The deacon yelled.

"Yes! Say that! Well!" The congregation yelled in response.

"Those that yield to the flesh are sinners!" He paused and looked around the church. He fixed his eyes upon me, "Those people are unclean in front of the Lord."

I put my head down. His message was the same every Sunday.

"As we pass the plate around, let us pray silently for those that are lost."

I put my head down and pretended that I was praying for "those" that were lost as well.

"Amen! The preacher ended the prayer. "Now! " He yelled. "I would like to show you someone that's close to my heart. She's a young gir.. Well woman, and I'm so proud to announce that today.. Today my daughter has announced that she would like to follow in my footsteps. La'toya wants to be a preacher y'all! "

"That's right baby. Ain't that good? She's a good child." the congregation erupted with applause.

I pulled out my phone with annoyance.

"Now I want my baby to speak." The reverend spoke.

A high pitched sound echoed from the microphone. I couldn't sit still on the bench anymore. How much longer would this last.

"Well.. " (La'toya coughed nervously)

I looked up from my phone is curiosity. I had never heard this voice before.

"Well.. My dad and I had a conversation last night. I told him about my decision, and how I want to save people. I want to minister to the youth and..." La'toya gets interrupted.

"You do that! " The missionaries waved their handkerchiefs.

"and just be a positive mentor. "

The pastor hugged his daughter with care. "And you're going to start ministering today. " he patted her on the back. "I want all the youth to come up to the front. La'toya is gonna pray for yall."

I drug my legs up to the front. I could feel the stares burning through my skin. "Is that a girl in a suit?" One member asked.
"She's one of those lesbians I hear. They are awful people." I put my head down and sat on the front row.

"Now daughter. Walk to each one of them and pray a simple prayer." La'toya did as her father told her too. She walked to each one of us whispering above our heads. Finally, she stepped up to me. I looked up slowly. She had on long dress skirt that touched the floor. I assumed this was an attempt to hide her figure. My eyes elevated further. She had an button down on that reached to her wrist. Raising my eyes higher, I made contact with hers. I looked back down quickly. I didn't get to look at her face.

"God bless you. God protect him." She mistakenly took me for a boy I suppose. "Bless you on your journey to salvation." She grabbed my hand, then released it quickly. She moved on to the next person shortly after. I couldn't help but glance at her from behind. I felt bad honestly. I was fantasizing about a girl in church. This was the temptation that the preacher yelled about. This was the flesh that was in us all. She finished her rounds and went back to her dad. "You did very well." He said hugging her. She smiled nervously.

"If there is nothing else, all stand." The congregation rose and dismissed shortly after. I glanced at the preacher and his daughter once more before leaving.

I tried to leave all my burdens at the church.