I reached for it and, when I got past all the tissue paper, there was a velvet box just like the one Freddie had given me my earrings in.  When I opened it, there was a diamond necklace that was in the bow shape just like my earrings.

“Thank you!” I said, getting up to hug them both.  “And I see what you mean about going perfectly.”

“You’re welcome,” Dad said, smiling. 

Freddie came in just as I put on my necklace.  He smiled.  “Looks good,” he said. 

I smiled back and started eating. 

Since Freddie insisted on driving to school, I got to relax in the leather seats of his Bentley.  I leaned my head back against the headrest and closed my eyes.  I didn’t fall asleep, but before I knew it, we were pulling into the parking lot of the school. 

I sat up and looked around for Ian.  When I saw him, he was standing around talking with Julia, Cam, and his friends in the freezing cold.  Crazy people. 

“Oh, go on to your lover boy,” Freddie said, rolling his eyes but smiling. 

I leaned over and kissed his cheek.  “Love you,” I said, and got out of the car. 

Adjusting my bag over my shoulder and wrapping my coat more snugly around me, I walked over to where everyone was standing.  When Ian saw me, a smile lit up his face and I couldn’t help but smile back.  He wrapped me in his arms and kissed me as soon as I was within reach. 

“Morning, babe,” he said, smiling down at me.  “Happy birthday!”

I laughed.  “Thanks,” I said.  “So what did you get me?”

He rolled his eyes.  “Like I’m going to give it to you now,” he said.  “I’ve got it all planned out for tonight.”

“Then it’d better be worth the wait,” I said, grinning up at him. 

He smiled so big that it made my heart stop.  “Oh, it definitely is,” he said, and kissed my temple.

School was totally different from our normal days, probably because it was the last day before we got out for Christmas vacation.  We didn’t do anything in any of our classes except for watch movies or just play around.

Ian and I went separate ways after school ended, which we hadn’t done since we started dating.  We’d always go to one another’s house after but not today. 

He was going to pick me up at seven so we could go out for my birthday dinner that he had made reservations for a few weeks before.  It was at the same restaurant in the city that we had our first date at. 

I started getting ready at five so I would have enough time.  I took a shower and did my hair and makeup.  Since it was so close to the holidays and freezing cold outside, I picked a deep red frilly top and slacks with black heels.  After I was dressed and ready, I grabbed my black pea coat and bag and headed downstairs.

Dad and Liz were sitting on the couch watching television while Freddie was sprawled out on the other, eating a sandwich.  They all looked up when I walked in.

“You look beautiful, sweetie,” Liz said, smiling up at me. 

I smiled back.  “Thank you,” I said.  “Ian should be here in about…”  Just then the doorbell rang.  “Now.”

Dad got up and walked over to kiss my cheek.  “Have a good night and be careful,” he said. 

“I will,” I said.  “Night.”

When I opened the door, Ian was standing there, dressed in slacks, a button down shirt with the top three buttons open, showing his tanned skin, and a coat.  I smiled as his eyes widened as he looked me over.  He took my hand in his and brought me forward to kiss. 

“You look absolutely gorgeous,” he said.  “As always.”

“You don’t look too bad yourself,” I said, smiling, as I pulled on my coat. 

He took my hand again once I shut the door behind me and we walked toward his car.  The pavement was a little wet because it had rained earlier and it was cold enough outside that it was probably going to freeze overnight. 

“Are you ready?” he asked, smiling at me as he pulled out of my driveway. 

I smiled back as he took my hand in his to hold between us.  “Of course.”

Comment, Vote, Like!!!1