Chapter 18

Chapter 18

Charlotte

Okay, you know that tingling feeling you’re supposed to get when you kiss someone?  That feeling like you’re floating on air?  That feeling that your heart’s about to beat out of your chest but it feels absolutely amazing?

Well, that’s exactly how kissing Ian felt like, all of it. 

At first, I have to admit I was a little surprised but then I just let go and kissed him back. 

And it was the best kiss I’ve ever had.

Sure, I had a few boyfriends in England – none that I got very serious with – but it was like Ian’s kiss erased the memories of those guys’ kisses. 

So when he pulled back after a good few minutes of our lips moving together, I whimpered.

“Why’d you stop?” I asked. 

He leaned his forehead against mine and grinned.  “I thought you’d like to take a breath or two.”

I laughed.  “Breathing is overrated,” I said, and started kissing him again. 

“I’ve wanted to do that again for forever,” Ian said when we finally pulled apart again. 

I laughed.  “Me, too, you know,” I said.  Then I thought over his words.  I looked into his eyes, confused.  “Again?”

He grinned and kissed me lightly on the lips.  “You mean you don’t remember our first kiss?  I think it was both of our first kisses,” he said.  “And I can’t believe you remember everything else that happened that day except for that.”

I rolled my eyes playfully.  “Well, if I don’t remember it, it must have not been very good,” I said.

He laughed and pulled me toward him and into his arms.  I rested my forehead against his neck and breathed him in.

“It was after I feel into the stupid stingray take at the aquarium in fifth grade,” he said.  “Mrs. Zink had left to go make sure everyone else was okay and you stayed with me.  You asked me if I was okay and I said I was but then you started laughing.  I kissed you just to shut you up.  You were surprised and we never talked about it again.  Until now, of course.”

Oh, my God.  He was totally right!  Why didn’t I remember that day like that? 

“Hm,” I said.  “It’s weird that I don’t remember that.  But hey, I get to remember this one, right?”

He smiled again.  Well, not really ‘again’, seeing as he hadn’t really stopped. 

“And if I have it my way, there’s going to be way more than just that one,” he said, and leaned down toward me again.

We didn’t stop kissing until the rain started to let up until it was just a drizzle.  When I leaned back to look at him, I felt tingly all over again. 

“I’ve got a question for you,” Ian said, leaning his forehead against mine. 

“Hm?”

He opened his mouth to say something but he closed it quickly.

I laughed.  “Spit it out,” I said.

He took a deep breath, looking into my eyes.

“I know we’ve only been friends again since yesterday but it feels good, right?” he asked.

I nodded.  “Really good,” I said. 

He sighed.  “Well, it doesn’t feel good to me,” he said.