Chapter 5

Edward POV

“Let’s get you cleaned up,” I told her softly. She gave me a look as if to say that I was absolutely insane. She probably was never shown such kindness in the past and I assumed she was particularly shocked at my words. I didn’t blame her.

Wordlessly, I grabbed her small hand lightly and led her over to the bathroom. She walked with sluggish-like steps, her eyes slightly drooping and her back hunched over a bit. She either must have just been unwillingly following my commands afraid of a punishment or was extremely exhausted. I think it was a little bit of both.

I motioned for Bella to sit on the counter as I went over to the closet and grabbed a few of the white towels, some soap to clean up the nasty cuts on her arms and legs, and some tape. Truthfully, they were more like gashes. Incredibly infected, red and slightly brown from irritation she must have been in extreme pain. I had also noticed the gashes on her back as well. The thin dress she wore did little to cover up the deep and bloody cuts. Poor thing, I thought to myself. How could someone treat a woman so? Especially one as pretty as she, how could a person lay a finger on such a delicate flower?

“Alright, Bella,” I said as I walked slowly over to her and put all the supplies on the counter. She stared at them curiously, inspecting what I assumed were unfamiliar objects to her placed. My eyebrows furrowed with sadness at her reaction of unfamiliarity with such a human staple. “First, I’m going to clean the wounds with water, and then with soap. I’m pretty positive that they don’t have bandages around here, right?”

“N-No, sir” she replied as she kept her head down, “N-No bandages.” I smiled sadly as she talked through her quivering lips. She was so afraid, but she had every reason to be.

“Well, than,” I said as I turned the sink on, “I guess we’ll make do with the towels.” She furrowed her eyebrows adorably at my statement.

“The t-towels, sir? W-We can’t use them a-as bandages. I’ll g-get in t-trouble.” She replied quickly. Playing with her fingers, Bella looked up at me with a nervous expression. Her large brown eyes framed by long eyelashes pierced through me as she gazed up. I couldn’t help but smile at the beautiful creature in front of me.

“Don’t worry,” I told her as I placed a small towel under the hot water, “It’ll be our little secret. And if we go out of the suite, we’ll just take them off and put them back on again when we return.” Bella nodded her head as she gave a small smile. Her smile turned into a look of pain as I began to clean her cuts. “I’m sorry, but this is going to hurt. Your cuts are very deep and infected.” She simply nodded her head and let me continue.

Like I had said before, I cleaned her cuts first with water, and then with soap. It took quite a while to do her arms and legs, but I managed to get it done without causing her too much pain. I used the remaining towels and tape to bandage her wounds carefully.  After I had finished, I remembered that her back also needed tending to.

“Bella,” I said quietly, “Would you mind if I cleaned the cuts in your back as well? They look awfully painful.” She looked up at me with shock, her delectable mouth slightly agape. Was it truly that shocking that I wanted to help her? That was a dumb question, Edward.

“I-If you d-don’t mind, s-sir,” she said as she began to play with the hem of her dress.

“Call me Edward,” I told her as I got more towels. “Bella, you’re going to have to remove the upper part of your dress. But you can lie on the bed, that way you’re covered.” I rapidly explained, not wanting her to think I was trying to get her naked. She simply nodded and went over to the bed, doing as I had told her.

I grabbed the towels and began to clean the gashes on her back. I tried to be extra careful, for I knew these caused her much more pain than the ones on her arms and her legs. It saddened me to see her milky flesh plastered with such horrible lacerations. No one deserved such treatment. I finished within the hour, bandaging the last gash with a satisfied grin.

“There,” I said proudly, “All better.” I left Bella to get dressed and headed over to the sink, washing my hands of her blood. Her cuts had begun to bleed during the cleaning process, which was expected. I dried my hand on my pants and made my way over to the living room to see Bella standing near the couch.

“Sit down, sit down.” I told her lightly as I took a seat of my own. She hesitantly sat down once again on the other side of the sofa, placing her small hands on her lap. We sat together in silence for a few minutes before the beauty next to me spoke up.

“Th-Thank you, Edward.” She said as she looked up at me with those mesmerizing eyes. I inhaled sharply as we made eye contact, my dead heart feeling like it could beat again. If I were human I would be blushing immensely, just like Bella was now. I noticed that I was just staring at her rudely, and responded as quickly as possible.

“You’re welcome,” I said quietly as I looked away embarrassed. Why did she make me so nervous? No other women had had this sort of effect on me. What was so special about this small little human hat had my dead heart fluttering?

“So,” I tried to continue on the conversation without making any eye contact, “What do you enjoy doing, Bella?” She looked at me strangely, as if she was asking herself the same question. As if she didn’t know who she was. It wasn’t hard to believe that a person could not identify their personality when they’ve been confined to such a place. Who was Bella? What was she like?

“W-Well,” she began quietly, “I like f-flowers.”

“Really?” I asked interested, “My mother is a big fan of flowers as well. Which are your favorite?”

She looked at me with a small smile before she responded. “Gardenias.”

I gave her a smile of my own. “They’re beautiful flowers,” I agreed.

We continued on talking about our likes and dislikes for the rest of the evening, forgetting about all worries and insecurities. Bella had seemed to loosen up quite well and didn’t stutter as much, but instead smiled and even laughed. I loved seeing her that way. She was quite beautiful when she smiled. Before we knew it, it was nine thirty.

“Whoa,” I said as I looked at the clock, “It’s late. Would you like to go to sleep, Bella?” She looked at me with yet another shocked expression. I guessed no one had ever asked her if she wanted to rest. I keep forgetting that she wasn’t exposed to a normal life and still didn’t understand how a lot of things went on in the real world.

“Y-Yes, please. Thank you.” She said as she got up. I saw her sluggishly make her way over to the same corner she had first sat down in. I used my immortal speed to get up off the couch and grab her wrist lightly.

“Bella,” I said as I looked at her softly, “You’re going to sleep on the bed.” I knew that she knew I didn’t sleep and that the bed was practically useless to me. I didn’t have a partner with me and I wasn’t human, so I wouldn’t be using it anytime soon.

“Are,” she said as she gulped, “Are you s-sure? I don’t m-mind sleeping on the f-floor. I d-do it all the time.” I frowned at her words.

“You don’t have a bed?” I asked her as I led her gently over to the bedroom.  She shook her head no and said that she slept on a pile of straw. My frown deepened as we made it to the bed. I gently picked Bella up and she gave a surprised yelp. I laid her on the bed softly, tucking the covers around her small body. I knew it got cold here, and I didn’t want her to fall ill.

“Goodnight,” I said to her as I left the room, shutting off the lights and leaving no room for any arguing. A few moments later, I heard her relaxed deep breathing and knew she was asleep.

I sat down on the sofa and grabbed my sheet music and pen. Meeting Bella had inspired a song in my head, and I quickly wrote it down. I hummed the melody over and over until I got it right. I smiled at my work, satisfied as I put it in with the rest of my sheet music.

I sprawled out on the couch, planning to read one of my favorite books. As soon as I opened the book, a loud knock was heard on the door.

Confused, I got up quickly and answered the door. I opened it and was met with two furious vampires.

Lovely.