Jake moved to the other side of the couch and watched me . But not with the intense neediness that Jeff watched me with . Jake watched me with caution , like he could break me with a single stroke.

"You just looked so beautiful under that chandler ." He explained softly.

I smiled at the flutter of my heart . " Don't apologize. I liked it , its just . . "

Jake's face lit up instantly, like a dog being praised by his owner after being yelled at for so long .

"Uh , lemme get some blankets for you , you must be cold !" I laughed as Jake stumbled up the stairs.

"Be careful !" I called .

I gazed around the room , admiring the pictures of what must be his family and little sisters .

I jerked with fear when I heard Jake scream and a loud crash .

'Jeff !' I ran up the stairs two at a time .

"JEFF ! DON'T HURT HIM ! I -" Gazing up at me sat a lopsided smiling Jake in a heap of blankets .

Sliding down the wall I sat staring at Jake .

"What happened ?" I asked .

We both started laughing hysterically .

That night we made a blanket fort , and slept next to each other .

I was genuinely happy .

/./././.

Yawning , I looked over at Jake sleeping . A warm smile grew on my face .

Pain shot through me as I was yanked out of the fort by my hair , a hand muffling my screams .

Jeff's angry eyes glared down at me , daring me to make a sound .

Jeff drags me to the garage , and throws me on the concrete ground , locking me in .

"JEFF ! JEFF , PLEASE ! " I scream helplessly , banging on the door . I look towards the garage door , and feel the wall for a light switch , or the switch for the door to open .

I flip on the light switch and look for the garage button . I scream in frustration when I see that Jeff has tore it out of the wall and strewn it on the ground .

"NO !" I sob as I bang on the door .

I actually liked Jake , alot . After so long of pushing everyone away , the one person I let in other than Jenny , is taken away from me . Again .

I try lifting the garage door. Fail .

I try looking for tools in the unpacked boxes . Fail .

I try to fix the button . Fail .

Fail . Fail . Fail . Fail . Fail .

"DAMMIT !" I scream .

A roar flows through the room - The creak of metal .

Bright light blinds me as the garage door lifts , a figure standing in front of it .

"J-J-" I stutter.

A bloody Jake stumbles towards me .

I run to him just as he collapses . I lay his head on my lap as I dig in his pocket for his cell phone .

Tears drop onto his blood smeared face as I stroke him .

"911 . What's your emergency ?"

/./././

It turns out that Jake has no family . At least none that want him .

How crazy is that ?

And so here I am . Standing next to the boys bed , waiting for him to wake up .