Missing Practices

Start from the beginning

Then Ms. Darbus walked over and gave them her stern look.
_______________________________________

Whistles blew. The practices were over.

"That's it, guys. Let's hit the showers! Good hustle guys! Let's see that in the game!" Coach Bolton shouted.

"Good work girls hit the showers!" Coach Abrams shouted.

As the rest of the team and cheerleaders were leaving, Troy and Veronica showed up. Chad shoved the ball into Troy's stomach as he passed while Lola handed Veronica the pom-poms aggressively. Both the coaches did not look happy.

There is an uncomfortable silence between the four. No one is willing to look the other in the eye.

"I, uh, think I'm gonna stay a while. Work on some free throws."  Troy spoke up

"And I-I'll practice the routine one more time," Veronica spoke up.

"Well, since you both missed practice, I think each one your team deserves a little effort from both of you today." Coach Bolton said sternly.

Both the coaches left the gym. As they did. Gabriella and Ryan appeared from behind

"Wow." Ryan admired the gym.

"So this is your real stage?" Gabriella asked.

"Yeah. I guess you could call it that."  Troy chuckled.

"Or just a smelly gym." Veronica joked.

Ryan chuckled.

Troy handed the ball to Gabriella who shot the ball and made the basket, impressing Troy.

"Whoa! Don't tell me your good at hoops, too." Troy said, impressed.

"You know, I once scored 41 points on a league championship game." Gabriella bragged.

"No way," Troy said in disbelief.

"Mm-hm. Yeah, and on the same day, I invented the space shuttle and microwave popcorn." Gabriella joked.

"Oh! Microwave popcorn. Ha-ha. Funny." Tory smiled.

Troy shot the ball and made another great basket.

"I've been rehearsing with Kelsi,"  Gabriella told him.

"Me, too. And, um, by the way, I missed practice. So if I get kicked off the team it should be on your conscience." He joked.

"Hey, I wasn't the one who told you to sing-"  She became defensive.

"Gabriella, chill." Troy calmed her down.

Gabriella decided to take the ball from Troy.

"Hey, that traveling... No that's really bad traveling." Troy pointed out.

Troy ran up behind Gabriella, picked her up and spun her around making her laugh.
_______________________________________
While they were having fun Veronica was doing her routine.

"You know I can do splits as well," Ryan told her after she did a split.

"Oh really?" She asked with an amused expression.

Ryan did a split and then started dancing.

"Woah triple threat. Singing, acting, and now this!" Veronica exclaimed.

Ryan grabbed her pom-poms and started running.

"Hey give those back!" She shouted with a smile and ran after him.

The door opened and then closed.

Mr. Bolton came in saw both his kids having fun with strangers.

"I'm sorry, this is a closed practice for only jocks and cheerleaders."  He told them

"Dad, come on, practice is over," Troy said a little taken back by what his father said.

"Not till the last player leaves the gym. Team rule." He reminded him.

"Seriously dad?" Veronica asked with a scoff.

"We're sorry, sir." Gabriella apologized

"Come on Ryan." They both were about to leave.

"Um, dad this is this is Gabriella Montez." Troy introduced her.

"And this is Ryan Evans."  Veronica introduced him.

They both smiled at Mr. Bolton.

"Ah, both your detention buddies here at the same time." He said rudely.

Gabriella's warm smile faded as she handed the ball back to Troy.

Ryan's smile dropped as well and he sadly gave Veronica back her pom-
poms.

"We'll see you guys later," Gabriella told them.

"It was nice meeting you Coach Bolton, " Ryan said Gabriella nodded in agreement.

Both of them ran out of the gym.

The twins and Coach Bolton waited until Gabriella and Ryan were out of earshot to continue.

"Dad, detention was our fault, not theirs," Veronica told him

"You both haven't missed practice in three years. You meet them and-"  Coach Bolton started to lecture them.

"Them? They have names dad. Gabriella and Ryan. And they are very nice." Troy told him

"Well, helping you both miss practice doesn't make them very nice. Not in my book. Or your school's." 

"Dad, they not the problem. They're just a guy and a girl." Veronica rose her voice.

"But both of you are not just a guy and a girl! Troy, you are the team leader and Veronica you are the head cheerleader. What you two do effects the entire school. And without you both completely focused, the championship game is a disaster. This game doesn't come along all the time. It's something special."  He told them.

"Yeah, well a lot of things are special, Dad," Troy told him.

"But you both are not singer right?" Coach Bolton asked.

"You're a playmaker-" Coach Bolton told his son.

"-and you're the head cheerleader." Coach Bolton told his daughter.

"Did you ever think maybe I could be both? That both of us can be two things at once?" Veronica asked.

Coach Bolton had no answer. Troy dropped the ball and walked away. Veronica did the same with her pom-poms.

As they left the gym, they saw that the rest of the teams and cheerleaders has been outside the whole time, eavesdropping. They were so angry at that moment that they didn't even bother to talk to them.

"What?" Jason said confused.

"We gotta do something about this," Lola spoke up.

"I have a plan. Let's go." Chad told them.