"You know just school, I started working at an art studio Atlanta has really nice museums. Now I'm going to finish my last year at Clark Atlanta and stay out there with a friend in an apartment."

"Ooh a friend huh?"

Amber's cheeks turn red as she lets out a small laugh.

"Not like that I knew her since I moved out to Atlanta she's my best friend"

"Awe well that's great glad to see you are doing what you need to do. What's your major Art"?

"No. I am a business major. Concentration in Marketing and minoring in Africana Studies. I'm staying in Atlanta because black business is very huge and my friend and I after a few years want to open a shop one day so ya know"

"Awe congrats"

Everyone says to her. I continued eating.

"See you're smart like Nick here Mr. UCLA about to graduate with honors"

Michelle says proudly smiling towards me.

"Oh yeah Michelle was telling me you're going to UCLA congrats, I know that was always your dream school"

"Yeah yours was USC what happen"?

I asked looking towards her. I asked it to be mean honestly I know nothing would have stopped her from going unless that changed about her too.

"Life"

She says vaguely while looking everywhere but me. Michelle gives me a look, a look that caused for me to freeze. Her eyes held such disappointment and sadness her eyes were a little teary as she shook her head. The table got silent for a bit as everyone at.

"So Amber your pretty you have a boyfriend"?

Maria asks now that the awkwardness was over. I glanced at her as she looked up at me.

"No. Too much is going on I'm just focused on what's important"

She says while smiling down at Melanie as Melanie played with her two buns. Amber stared down at Melanie with a look in her eye that I couldn't pin. She smiled sadly but laughed and kissed on her still. She was always great with kids.

"Damn Maria are you going to grill her anymore? Its summer we all trying to get school out of our minds"

Everyone laughs as Maria blushes and hits Robert in the back of the head. I ate the last bit of my toast and stood up to wash my dish.

"So Nicky what do you plan on doing today"?

I sucked my teeth to myself as Bryant asked that question and turned around leaning on the sink.

"To hang with Max he wants me to help him with something."

I said to him while getting a water bottle to go.

"Well can you hang with him tonight and take us to the mall"?

This time it was Haley and she never asks for anything. So I messaged Max to hit up a bar with him and the guys later and groaned as I took three of them and Amber to the mall. Amber tried not to come but the girls begged her. I didn't say anything and just drove while talking to Haley of how she wanted to go out of state for school. I'm not ready for my baby sis to leave but I know she has a good head on her shoulders and she's going to be an adult soon. Doesn't mean they're not my baby sisters though. My mom and dad work a lot as you see there are a lot of us. They wanted better for us so they both work two jobs so it was Michael, Bryant and Michelle always looking after us.

I pulled into the mall parking lot only for the girls to walk ahead and try to whisper about boys. Megan is so loud though so I could hear everything. I was keeping an eye on them as guys who looked like they could be their dad tried to eye them. I wanted to punch one man that was driving too fucking slow trying to get their attention but they're so lost in their conversation they don't see the wolves that are waiting for them. That's why I always try to tell them what's up.

"Still protective I see"

I looked down at Amber as her cheeks were red and she was fiddling with her fingers. She was nervous and uncomfortable.

"Always"

I said to her. She looks up at me and then looks straight ahead. Anyone would be able to feel the tension between us. We walked in the mall and the girls wanted to go inside some boutique first.

"Nick"?

I looked down to see Amber move in front of me as the girls ran inside the boutique. She was swaying from side to side biting her lip. I didn't snap at her because I knew she was nervous and I didn't want her breaking down in front of all these people.

"Can we please talk? Please? We need to talk"

She says now looking up at me. Is she fucking serious? I tried talking to her for a year. Now I'm supposed to talk because it's on her fucking terms?

"Now that you want to talk I have to?"

"No it's just that I'm ready"

"OH! So you're ready now? So I'm just supposed to now all of a fucking sudden to be ready to talk? In case you don't remember I tried talking to you for a year. Fuck outta here with that I'm ready shit. I'm not ready to talk to you how bout that? "

"When will you"?

"I don't think I would ever be ready to be honest. I don't want nothing to do with you Amber. When you left shit happened to me that I don't want to repeat. You did not care. So I stopped caring. I'm over it."

I said to her walking away but she grabs my arm pulling me back. Tears were glistening in her eyes now.

"Please? You don't have to talk back. I will talk. I will answer your questions. You were my best friend. You know me just as I know you. I know your mad and hurt but please"?

I shook my head at her. I wasn't ready. Now she was holding both of my hands tightly.

"Nicholas please don't do this. I want what we had. I want to explain. Please Nicholas give me a chance"

"Why? So you can break me again?"

"No so I can try fixing it. I missed you so much Nicholas"

"Could've fooled me. Tell me this why you ain't call in 5 years? Why you read my facebook messages and didn't reply? Why I had to find out you moved from my fucking sister the day of? Why after we had sex after we lost our virginities you dipped and left me some sorry ass note? Another question did you know I was in love with you the whole time? "

She shook her head from side to side at my last question.

"I never knew I swear. So much was going on Nick"

"Fuck you Amber you can't give me full answers I don't want to talk"

I spoke harshly about to leave before she grabbed my arm again causing for me to turn around and for her to slap me. Hard.

"Stop cursing at me! Talk to me. I didn't even get a chance to answer your questions so please can we talk as adults alone"

"Look Amber I'm not ready "

She shook her head up and down with a tear falling down her cheek. I turned away to see the girls staring at us with sad expressions. Megan and Shawnna both glared at me (ungrateful) while Haley grabbed my hand as they walked ahead.

"She really wants to talk to you. That's why she's back"

Haley says squeezing my hand and walks ahead causing for some guy with a greasy jerry curl who was about 45 years old to nearly break his neck trying to stare at her ass. I had to glare the fuck outta him for him to look away and continue on his merry way. I'm seriously going to kill someone I swear. I thought about what Haley said. I been wanting answers. I don't have to be her friend she just wants to talk. I walked up grabbing Amber by her arm.

"We can go to the park and talk after we go home"