Chapter 12 ~ The End

Start from the beginning

I don't want to fight with you, I just want us all to be friends.

If spending today with Hanbin can make you change your mind and think about being friends with us, then go ahead. I'll try not to think of anything and just let Hanbin stay with you for today, since that's what he's been doing."

I smiled at her, a genuine smile. It was a plea, a sincere request to end all these, to let us all go back to the peaceful ways.

She scoffed and rolled her eyes at me, drawling in a sarcastic tone,

"Give Hanbin to me for today? He came to me because I threatened him that I'll hurt you if he doesn't listen to me. He's been such a good boy. As long as I keep threatening him with you, he'll stay well behaved. He'll stay mine.

But of course, I can't have you running to him and telling him what I've just told you. That'll ruin all my plans..."

She took another step towards me, her eyes fixated on me, the corners of her red lips lifting up slightly like those of a clown.

"What... what do you want? If you hurt me, Hanbin's not going to listen to you anymore." I stumbled back, my heart throbbing impossibly fast inside my chest. We were alone here, she could do anything she wanted to do to me and get away with it easily.

"I don't want much. I know I seem like a psychopath, but I can't help it. You annoy me to no end.

And of course I know that. But think about it, with you out of the picture, wouldn't it be even easier for Hanbin to accept his love for me?

Besides, I'm not going to let someone who tried to destroy me go about safely.

And we're alone now. Not a single soul in sight. Guess what I can do to you?"

She hissed, her dark pupils glinting like that of a cat's against the darkness of the night. I backed away from her, distinctly feeling my phone ring in my pocket.

Damn it. That would probably be Junhoe, calling to see what was taking me so long. He probably thinks I'm lost, but I was in an even worse predicament right now.

I heard someone shouting my name from afar, repeatedly, the sound coming closer and closer towards me.

June, please come and save me.

Will June reach here and save me in time? Or will Seyun hurt me first, whatever she was planning to do to me?

I shrank back, wary of Seyun's every action. She took yet another step towards me. I stepped back again. I felt like a prey, and she the predator, hunting me down, making me retreat.

I wobbled unsteadily on my high heels, feeling my ankle sprain a little. A stab of pain shot through me and I almost lost my balance. Damn it, what if I have to run later?

"Look Seyun, I just want everything to be the way it was in the beginning. Can't we settle this in peace?"

I made one last attempt at peace, hoping that she'll take it and leave me alone.

But of course she wasn't one for peace. She laughed sarcastically and flicked her long blonde hair over her shoulders, her expression smug.

"Don't be so afraid of me. You want us to be friends, but how can we be if you're so intimidated by me?"

I didn't reply, didn't know how to. What could I say? That I was truly afraid of her, after her many attempts to murder and hurt me? That I was ready to let bygones be bygones?

I winced as I placed my sprained ankle hard onto the ground, the pain unbearable for a few seconds.

She noticed, her eyes flickering down to my injured foot, her expression smug. She knows she's already won this battle.

"Now... to finish you off."

She advanced on me, this time determined to get me.

Wide-eyed, I stood there in terror, watching as she took each slow step towards me. Paralysed, the most I could do was lift my hand up to try and fend myself from whatever she was going to do to me.

I thought she was going to hit me, to lash out at me and inflict whatever damage she could, but she didn't.

Instead, she pushed me.

The impact knocked me off my feet, my arms flailing around, desperately trying to grab onto something.

Unfortunately, my hands met air, and I was falling.

Everything seemed to become slow motion for me. I was vividly aware of my heart palpitating wildly inside, my pulse quickening. My heartbeat throbbed like the deafening roar of the thrashing sea in my eardrums as I fell backwards.

I squeezed my eyes shut, bracing myself for the pain that was sure to come once I hit the hard ground.

But the pain didn't come.

Instead, water did.

I had backtracked so much that I was just centimeters away from the pool. I hadn't realise that, but Seyun obviously had, thus pushing me into the pool.

I hit the pool full force, my back making contact with the water, a loud splash resounding around me.

I was submerged underwater in a second, my back aching from the painful impact. Stunned, my reaction was barely fast enough to stop me from sinking all the way down to the bottom.

Desperately, I tried to kick my legs to stay afloat, but my sprained ankle just wasn't cooperating.

Bubbles escaped from my opened mouth as I sunk down into the deep pool. It must be at least 2.5 metres deep - almost twice my height.

Struggling desperately, I suddenly remembered that I'd sprained the same ankle before - when I had been attacked by Seyun's friends.

She knows. She knows my injiry was bad, that it would cause me to be unable to swim.

She's really out to kill me.

The fight went out of me with every air bubble that escaped from my mouth. I could hear the distinct beating of my heart, thundering in my eardrums. It was slowing down, struggling just as much as I was, screaming out for oxygen.

I guess this is God's cruel way of karma. I've tried suiciding by jumping into the Han river before, thinking that my life was over after believing that Hanbin was cheating on me.

How stupid I had been. A life given to me, and I hadn't cherished it. If it hadn't been for Hanbin coming to rescue me in time, I would have long died.

Hanbin's face appeared in my mind as I let out another row of bubbles of air.

Will he be sad with me gone? Will I still remember him in my next life? Will he ever regain his memories?

With me dead, I rather he not.

Please, spare him the pain of losing a loved one...

With his foolish grinning face etched in my mind, I smiled and let out my last breathe of air, sinking further.

May we meet again as lovers in our next lives, Kim Hanbin.