26

"Sure?"

"Why do you sound so indecisive dear?"

I rolled my eyes and silently mimicked his statement like a child.

"I don't know. I'm still not sure how I feel about you suddenly showing up in my life."

Mark glanced up at from the bed with a quizzical expression. I quickly waved him off and continued my discussion.

"That's why we're talking tomorrow. And uh-bring that guy you had at Thanksgiving. I'd like to meet him."

"Why should I?"

"I guess you don't have to, whatever makes you happy." His voice echoed throughout my ears and I suddenly became extremely angry.

When I didn't answer, he did. "I'll call you tomorrow and we can work out a time and place. Get a good nights sleep kiddo."

Then he hung up. It took all of my power not to chuck my phone at the nearest wall. "Whatever makes you happy!?" Are you kidding me?

"Who was tha- babe are you alright?"

"Fine."

"Well obviously not. C'mon, spit it out." he instigated.

"It was my Dad. He wants to go for lunch tomorrow and he's wondering if you'd like to join us."

So now he wants to be back in my life? Why now after he was gone for so many years?

Mark shrugged his shoulders and used his fingers to trace the lines on the duvet.

"I've never really heard of you talking about him, but sure. I don't have a problem with meeting your Dad."

I hated hearing that word from others. "Your dad." I honestly hated calling him "Dad" myself.

"I do."

___

"The reason I never talk about him is because he was never there!" I huffed from the bathroom, pausing to talk before I went back to my makeup.

"Mhm, mhm."

"Are you even listening?" I moved into the doorway so I could see him sitting in the bed with his phone in his hands.

He looked up at me innocently and smiled. "Babe how could I not hear you? You're practically yelling."

"Oops sorry." I giggled, throwing my hand over my mouth and moving back into the bathroom.

"You sure you don't want me to go?" he asked from his spot.

"No. I'll be fine. I don't want him to get everything he asks for if he can't show up for twelve years of my life."

"Yeah."

I finished my makeup and crawled into the bed next to him.

"Just go for this one lunch and then you're done. If you don't want to see him again you don't have to."

I nodded slightly and pushed myself closer to his body. He used his free arm to wrap me in a hug. We sat there in silence together, Mark on his phone, and me engulfed in my own thoughts.

"You should probably go." He whispered

I sighed and limply slithered out of his grip.

"I'll be here when you get home and we can go do something fun."

"Ok." I mumbled.