Prologue

***Prologue***

Percy slashed and hacked at the monsters surrounding him. As he sent them one by one to Tartarus, he craned his neck in search of his friends...or, rather, what remained of them. So many were dead and dying.

Leo had taken a spear to his stomach for Hazel, and had died recently. His body was still warm.

Piper had a dagger buried hilt-deep in her heart, and she stared up at the night sky without seeing the stars.

Frank lay at an awkward angle, his neck snapped, and his eyes glassy in his death.

Percy had no time to feel any grief for his friends. Or pain. All he felt was rage, a deep seething fury that tore at his heart and clouded his common sense. He mindlessly waded through Gaea's army, leaving a trail of monster dust in his wake. His sea-green eyes looked like hurricanes, and his mouth was set in a fierce snarl that made monsters, demigods, and even some of the gods themselves apprehensive and fearful of him. But he didn't care. All that he cared about was keeping Annabeth alive and sending Gaea back to the hole she had crawled out of. 

 He heard an ear-piercing scream of agony to his left. Annabeth.

"ANNABETH!!!". His scream tore at his throat and his blood ran cold as he turned to see an arrow sticking out of her chest. He reached her as she fell, and caught her before her head could hit the cold hard ground.

She grabbed weakly at the arrow, the shaft by now slick with her blood. Percy cradled her head in his lap, at complete loss for words, unable to say anything as the one he loved died slowly in his arms.

"P-P-Percy," she coughed as she choked on her own blood.

"I'm right here, Wise Girl." he whispered.

"I l-love you." she said faintly.

"I love you too, Annabeth." Annabeth Chase sighed and flicked her stormy grey eyes to Percy's sea-green ones so that her last sight would be the face of her beloved, Perseus Jackson, and, with one last sigh, she died.

Percy screamed wordlessly at the night sky in anguish as his heart shattered with the death of the one he loved, and he cradled her corpse to his body. His life had no purpose anymore. He wanted so badly to die and join his beloved in Elysium. So he did the first thing that came to his mind.

Gently, he lowered Annabeth's body to the ground, and slowly straightened himself to his full height. His Camp-Half Blood shirt was torn, scorched, and covered in blood, and his dark denim jeans fared no better. Somehow, the leather cord of his camp necklace was still tied around his neck. He had a cut on his face that stretched across his left cheek bone and dripped crimson down the side of his cheek. His body was splattered with blood and grime, and he had numerous cuts all over him, but he didn't feel any of them.

All he felt was his shattered heart, and a deep hatred for Gaea. This was all her fault. Annabeth. Leo. Piper. Frank. Their deaths were all her fault.

"GAEA!!!" he bellowed, "STOP HIDING FROM ME, YOU COWARD, AND COME FACE ME!!!" The whole battlefield went completely silent, and he saw his remaining living friends staring at him with different emotions. Nico di Angelo, son of Hades, looked sad and resigned. Jason Grace, son of Jupiter, looked angered and depressed. Hazel Levesque, daughter of Pluto looked shocked and frightened for Percy. But Percy refused to back down. "I'M STILL WAITING YOU COWARD!" he screamed.

"You dare challenge me, son of Posiden?", Her voice seemed to rise from the earth all around him. "I accept your challenge, Perseus Jackson. And when your corpse lies on the cold ground, I shall tear Olympus apart, brick by brick, and a new era of chaos and destruction shall be born from its ashes!" With that, she rose from the earth, beautiful, yet deadly, like a rose with poisoned thorns. Her sleek black locks tumbled down to her waist. Her sleeveless forest green toga hugged the curves of her body, and her earth colored eyes swirled with hatred and promised him worlds of pain. She held a wickedly sharp, double-edged sword in each hand, and her ivory skin glinted in the pale light of the full moon. Her full, red lips were twisted into a feral snarl, and her bare feet shifted on the ground as she moved into a defensive position.

She had barely enough time to raise her swords to block Percy's blow, and the fight of the millennium commenced; the most ancient of evils, Mother Earth herself in a duel to the death against the most powerful demigod of his time, Perseus Jackson, the Son of Posiden, Lord of the Sea.

They became a blur as their swords slashed through the air, each searching for a weakness in the other's defences. Percy leaped back as Gaea's swords sliced at the empty air that was occupied by his torso just a second before, and jabbed at her thigh as he saw a weakness in her defense. She shrieked in pain as the blade passed cleanly through the fleshy part of her thigh, and cackled in triumph as she wrenched her leg back, taking Percy's sword along with it. She grabbed hold of Riptide's hilt and pulled the blade out, grimacing in pain as it passed once more through her leg, and tossed it over the cliff's edge.

But Percy wasn't ready to die just yet. First, he would avenge Annabeth and all of his fallen friends. Then he would join his Wise Girl in Elysium.

As Gaea pulled out his sword, he lunged forward with Annabeth's dagger and buried its blade in her heart. Then, before her contact with the earth could heal her, he summoned the water that he had sensed at the cliff's base, and used it to hurl Gaea into the air, and keep her there as she bled golden ichor, and finally was sent back into the deep sleep from which she had originally awoken.

But she didn't go quietly. As she bled unto the earth, she summoned the largest earthquake the world had ever seen, and directed it towards only one person: Perseus Jackson, Son of the Sea.

The earthquake sent him hurtling over the edge of the cliff, and he welcomed the fall to the jagged rocks below. But the Fates were not finished with Perseus, and fell to the rocks, but, for some reason, he could not block the healing properties of the sea as he usually could.

But he swore to himself that he would never return to Camp-Half Blood, and, true to his promise, he disappeared into the shadows of New York City, his home.

But there was someone who decided that Percy needed to put his skills and powers to use. And that someone was Director Nick Fury.