“I’m not telling you not to be sure. I just want you to be careful,” he said. “We don’t live in a small town anymore. You can’t be too trusting, especially around guys.”

“Thanks, but I’m a big girl. Anyway, I should go, I’ve got homework to do. Thanks for the pretzels.” Taking another handful, I tossed my backpack across my shoulder and adjusted my crutches. I made my way to the stairs.

“It’s your first day. How can you possibly have homework?” Luke hollered after me.

“I dunno. I just do.” I lied. I noticed getting up the stairs was a little easier today.

Because of The Punisher? No, absolutely not.

 She didn’t deserve the credit. She replaced my parents in the number one spot for people never to speak to again. I had to keep her that way.

When I got to my room, I threw myself on the bed and allowed my thoughts to drift into a whirlwind of questions and conclusions about life here so far. First of all, as much as I hated to admit it, Vancouver wasn’t so bad. I could get used to it. It was kind of pretty, especially with Orion dominating my view.

I was a different person now.  For sixteen years, I'd taken my life for granted. I saw only what was wrong with it and nothing more than that because I’d wanted it that way. When I woke up in the hospital, it was more than a physical awakening. It was a second chance that I had no intention of ignoring. 

I thought about Orion's help that day. The old me wanted to believe this was some sort of trick, that there was some other motive for his kindness. The new me reasoned that maybe he was as genuine as he seemed to be. I wanted to believe he was. He was just an incredibly nice guy who happened to be blessed with the looks of a god. Was it really that far-fetched?

My next thought was about Chloe. What was her problem exactly? She wasn’t Orion’s girlfriend, so what claim, if any, did she have to him? I mean it wasn't rocket science to conclude that she had a crush on him that he didn’t reciprocate, but it didn’t give her the right to be awful. Realistically I could be just as awful as she was, but I chose not to be. Part of the whole living life to its fullest, I supposed, but I wouldn’t put up with her silent ridicule for very long. Life was far too short to sweat the small stuff, but I couldn’t promise I’d keep my temper in check indefinitely. I mean, I wasn't a saint or anything.

After dinner I picked out my clothes for the following day, settling on blue jeans and a pink tank top, then lay on my bed reading. It seemed like a healthier alternative to thinking. The book wasn’t very good and worked more as a sleep aid than anything else. In minutes I'd slipped into a dreamless slumber.

***

One thing that would never change, regardless of what kind of reality check was sent my way by the universe, was how much I hated the alarm. Much the same way a cat may hate a dog, or the sun may hate the rain.

I was like a caterpillar emerging from its cocoon, rolling over to slap my hand over it to silence the incessant buzz. Realizing that I was alive another day was cause to celebrate. Realizing that I would see Orion was even more reason. I got out of bed, showered, and dressed before grabbing a breakfast bar and climbing into the car with Luke. The drive took forever, but finally he pulled up to the school. “Well I.Q., have a good day with O’Riley.”

“It’s Orion, doofus.” I rolled my eyes. “Your sarcasm is impressive. You’d think we were related or something.”

“Yeah,” Luke replied. “You’d think. Seriously though, have a good day.”

“Thanks. You, too.” I retrieved my backpack and crutches from the backseat and headed to the school.

Chloe moved at supersonic speed, a scowl plastered on her face. As she approached, I noticed something I hadn’t before; she was shorter than I was. That was quite an achievement, but everyone had to be good at something. She didn’t exactly have a shining personality, so being tiny probably gave the impression she was cute, which she wasn't.

“Quinn, is it?” She asked as she got closer. Her voice clawed at my skin like nails on a chalkboard.

“Yeah, it’s Quinn.” I spoke with a confidence I didn't have and held her stare. I’m sure the menacing look on my face was far superior to hers. It was a pre-accident skill I'd been able to retain. I hadn’t used it much since then, but it resurfaced for The Punisher yesterday. That’s how I knew I’d retained it.

“Well, whatever, your name is Dirt as far as I am concerned. Stay away from Orion.” She tried to match my look.

Good luck with that, Princess.

I gave her my best stare of intimidation. If she decided to do anything, I had no idea how I could react. I was still physically disabled, it’s not like I could start a brawl with her. “Excuse me?”

Her hands rested on her hips. “I said stay. Away. From. Orion. Got it?” 

“No,” I said flatly, moving my crutch to the side so I could lean closer to her, a daring move, but necessary. “I don’t got it. I don’t really think you got it either. It’s pretty clear that Orion has decided to be my friend. What part of that don’t you got?” Inside, I was terrified she was going to start throwing punches, but for Chloe’s sake I held my head high and kept my voice steady.

The girl was tenacious. I’d give her that. “Well, isn’t that unfortunate for you. Orion is very particular about who he becomes friends with. I wouldn’t want to be the center of his attention.”

“I guess it’s a good thing you’re not,” I told her. “But it’s a chance I’ll take. That would be more unfortunate for you, I would think.” I looked down at my nails, pretending to tire of the conversation.

“Whatever. You have no idea what you’re getting yourself into. You’d better watch it.”

It was time for some serious ammo. I pulled out the I-can’t-believe-you-seriously-named-me-Ireland stare, which I only ever used on my parents. It was priceless.  “Or what, Chloe? What if I don’t watch it? What are you going do?”

“I’ll make you sorry,” she replied.

“I’m already sorry, Chloe. I’m sorry for this conversation. It’s two minutes of my life I’ll never get back.” I may have been a changed person, but my old self was still very much alive, and it decided to make an appearance at this most opportune time.

She looked behind me and promptly lost her hard stare. I turned to see what she was looking at and there he was, just as perfect as he had been yesterday. It lifted my spirits instantly. He stepped forward and wrapped his arm around my shoulder. “Chloe, I didn’t know you were part of the student welcoming committee! And here I thought I was the only one assigned to Quinn.”

Assigned. He had been assigned to spend time with me?

“Yeah, well, Orion,” she said, shrugging her shoulders, “I guess there are a lot of things you don’t know about me.” As she said it, she turned to walk away. “And you never will,” she mumbled under her breath. She probably hoped no one would hear her.

Orion looked down at me grinning, “See, Zena? I knew Chloe would come around.”

“Yeah,” I agreed sarcastically. “She’s really coming around full circle, for sure. And once again, you’re wrong.”

“I told you not to worry about her.”

“I’m not worried.” It was true. I wasn’t. I was irritated, annoyed, and angry, but not worried. I knew her kind. She was running her mouth without the back up.

Orion took my backpack. “C’mon, let’s go. We don’t want to be late for class.”

I smiled at him. “Tardiness is against my religion.” It was that moment I decided that Orion was someone this precious time in my life was worth spending on.