"i'm sorry, okay?" baekhyun replied, with a defensive tone to his speech. "i'm sorry, this was a mistake. i'll take you home. i'm sorry. for everything. really, i am."

he was rambling. a characteristic that somehow didn't suit his dark aura of mystery and captivation. roma bit her lip at the sight of his glowing eyes and shaking limbs. the sight of his frowning lips only quickened the pace of her heart.

she hated the effect he had on her. she was never like this around most people, all fidgety and flustered and unable to control her breathing.

"i don't want to go home."

he looked up from where he'd been staring at the corner of the table, answering her with a deep, husky voice.

"tell me what you want, then."

roma returned the gesture, a lump rising up in her throat. in truth, she didn't even know the answer to that herself. how could she, when everything about this situation seemed so absurd, and when baekhyun looked like so lost and bewildered, and when her lips trembled at the thought of him leaving her.

how could she possibly know what she wanted.

"i want you to just explain," she murmured.

"explain what?"

"explain what's been happening these past few days, starting from when i found you, passed out."

he didn't flinch; continued to stare past her through the windows. his finger ran circles along the rim of his glass. didn't acknowledge her presence.

"there's nothing to explain, roma, so i don't know," he responded simply.

his attitude towards all of this--whatever this was--annoyed her further. she clenched her fists together beneath the table, and observed as he ignored her completely.

"you can't just say that. i'm not stupid," roma defended. he was being unfair.

"i never said you were."

through his avoiding and side-tracking of her questions, roma could tell what game he was playing.

"baekhyun," she stated his name sharply.

he stared.

"what?"

"i don't get why you're being like this," roma said quietly. "you're the one who found me." she was sure she'd said that numerous times now. anxiety only caused repetition.

baekhyun looked conflicted, eyes darting rapidly across the surface of the table-top. fingers continued to pre-occupy themselves with the empty glass. roma couldn't help but notice how slender his hands were.

"i just," baekhyun said, an almost pained expression overtaking his features, "i just had to find you, okay?"

roma was confused. and the last sentence he'd muttered made her heart flutter and her breath hitch.

"what's that supposed to mean?"

baekhyun sighed; breath cracking.