Chapter 19: Tobias - Commitments

Special note to Wattpad readers: The Wattpad site editor is still having problems.  It loses my italics, and even if I re-add them manually, it's sporadic about whether or not it takes them.  For this reason, I suggest reading this chapter on either the fanfiction net site (it's posted under the username "Windchimed M-Stories") or the Archive of Our Own site (it's posted under the username "Windchimed").  If you continue here, you'll lose the formatting that gives some of the text emphasis.

A/N: Thank you for all the support you've continued to give this story! I really appreciate the follows, favorites, and especially the reviews. Thank you also to my wonderful beta reader, BK2U!

This chapter takes a downturn. Some of you might want to wait and read it along with the next one, which will hopefully be posted in a few days. But if you're brave and willing to trust me, read on...

Chapter 19: Tobias – Commitments

Sometimes, Tobias can't believe he's been back in Chicago for a year. In some ways, it feels like forever – as if he never left – but in others, it's like the blink of an eye.

The time is measured most clearly at work, where his team has now finished the year-long project they were originally transferred to undertake. Eric has been close-mouthed about what's coming next, saying that he wants to announce it at the celebratory dinner the company is holding tonight. But judging by hints that have trickled down to Amar, most team members will be able to choose between two major new projects, both of which are supposed to be good. It's nice to have options.

They're allowed to bring their significant others to the dinner, and Tobias goes a little overboard in dressing up and bringing an equally adorned Tris with him to the banquet hall. After the stunt Nita pulled at the last company party, he wants to make sure that his girlfriend feels like the envy of tonight's event.

And it seems to be working, given the way everyone's eyes follow them around the room – and by the cold look Nita casts at her would-be rival. As if that was ever a contest.

"Tris, I'm glad you were able to make it," Amar says with genuine pleasure, reaching out to kiss her hand. Beside him, George smiles at his karate pupil.

"Well, I hear they're giving out awards, and I couldn't miss seeing if Tobias gets one." She grins at the way her boyfriend flushes slightly, embarrassed at the prospect. He's never been one for public attention, though he knows he'll get his share today anyway. After all, he was a key member of the team.

"Ah, yes." Amar gives a small smile. "I've heard that, too, but I'm afraid I have no spoilers for you."

His husband chuckles. "I imagine Amar will get a beautiful plaque," he tells Tris conspiratorially, "that they'll hang on the wall with all the others." Putting a hand on her shoulder, he adds, "Where it will sit in place of a meaningful raise."

Tobias laughs at that. It's become a common joke that the company holds these award ceremonies instead of giving out bonuses or raises, since it's less expensive in the long run. But personally he doubts it – he's gotten a generous pay increase every year he's been with the company, so they don't seem to be that cheap.

"The real question is, will Eric get anything?" Tobias muses. As the assistant manager of the Dauntless division, Eric was technically in charge of their project, even if he did very little of the day-to-day work.

"Oh, I imagine so." Amar looks mildly disgusted. "If history is any judge, he'll get credit for everything we did right."

Tobias turns his gaze briefly to Eric, watching as Nita leans a little too close to him, running her hand along his arm while they talk. A flicker of a smile touches his mouth. He hadn't heard anything about the two of them pairing up, but he's glad to see it. They certainly deserve each other.