|uploaded| Chapter 3

Arcane
Chapter Three
Sweet_Brown1095

_______________________

So, this is the third chapter!

I'll post the first four chapters, so you guys can read some of Arcane so you can decide if you want to know how this version ends, or if you want to me to write the edited version :)

_______________________

My heart is racing. My breathing is uncontrollable. My palms are sweaty and most of all, I am scared; more than scared. As I walk through the glass door I head into the large, spacious building. The scent reminds me of flowers - like the ones I had seen whilst on the train. The only reason I know what flowers smell like is because of the old lady from our boundary who used to pick such flowers.

She was such a nice woman. It was a shame when she passed and I made sure that I attended her funeral to lay her favorite flowers beside her grave. Even though she was still a 'blank', after all those years it didn't seem to faze her, as she always had a smile on her face and just got on with things. She will be remembered and will stay in my heart forever.

The guard drags me further into the building. As I scan my surroundings I notice that there are many people, mostly women, who are running around wearing suits and high heels with bundles of paper in their hands. One woman walks past me with some glowing blue device. What isthat? They glance over to me on occasions with a small, yet sinister smile. The sound of their heels clacking against the pristine white floor is barely heard over the chanting coming from outside.

To my left there is a large wall that is just glass. I can see the same woman from before is standing behind another podium. What's going to happen to us? From my limited vision I observe her as she talks to the crowd whilst jumping up and down like a little girl - there is no doubt that she is excited. I can't believe that she seems to find this all entertaining. Surely she must have also been a blank at some point, yet she seems to show no signs of pity as she described The Vote before. If excitement is the only emotion she can relay, then who knows what these people are capable of.

Right now though, I only had one question: what is going on?

We have stopped walking as the guards tell us that Perla - whoever that is - will be ready for us soon. My panic levels rise whilst I stand anxiously. The interior of the building is truly spectacular. Where I used to live, nothing of this scale was ever seen. I am still accustomed to the scenery of burst sewer pipes and moldy exteriors, and I cannot let myself get sucked into this beautiful interior as I know it is probably a ploy. Perla, the people in the suits, and the guards - they were all evil.

My eyes land on Chris who is standing a couple of feet to my left. He mouths 'I love you' in which I return the silent reply. Will this be the last of Chris and I? I mean, who knows what the events of The Vote will bring. Sure, I have heard many myths and different scenarios to how brutal this process truly is, now I am experiencing the real horror of it all.

We all stand for another couple of minutes before a guard raises his hand towards his earpiece.

"Okay, I'll send the first one in for the welcoming." His voice is blunt and affirmative to whoever he is speaking to.

After he ends the conversation the guard drags the girl he is holding, Heather I think, towards the glass wall where all the people are waiting to vote. "Please, please don't do this!" She pleads as she tries to escape, but the guard is too strong. She is very emotional and I realize that I will be facing the very same crowd very soon.