Day 15

Please enjoy with the music located at the side. Thank you.

As Amy tiredly stifles a yawn, her eyes gradually focusing in the darkness, she comes to realize that something is not right. When she does, she automatically leaps off the chair placed strategically next to the bed, groaning in frustration.

Once is a mistake. Twice is unforgivable.

The fire is nothing more than curls of smoke now, clouds drifting out the open window. The sheets on the bed are tossed carelessly to the side. The curtains whip around wildly as a breeze wraps around the room in a chilly embrace, the bed sheets tumbling off the bed as a result. As Amy quickly closes the window and dashes out of the cold room, she bites her tongue angrily.

If she cannot complete the simple task of keeping the mistress in her room, what good is she?

The halls are comfortably warm due to the lit candelabra hanging from the ceiling. Candles flicker as Amy shuts the door quietly, keeping the contrast between the warm hallway and the cold bedroom. As she jogs down the hall, her bare feet pitter-pattering on the marble tile, she curses to herself, each time biting harder.

Stupid...

Stupid...

Stupid...

While Amy has always known she's full of flaws, this offence is probably the worst she has ever committed. Losing a person she is in charge of makes Amy want to scream out at the empty hallway. She cannot, of course, but as the pressure starts building up in her throat, she instead bites her tongue even harder, as if the distraction will release the tension.

Suddenly struck by the iron taste of blood she stops, tentatively stroking her tongue. Facing a mirror, she observes the damage before hesitantly looking at the rest of her face.

In the dim light she looks ghastly, her eyes looking like dull jade, her auburn hair making her already pale face seem white as bright wisps frame her ashen cheeks. The usual healthy glow has been stripped from her face, leaving nothing but a lifeless shell behind behind. Turning around hastily, Amy starts sprinting to make up for lost time, ashamed for being so narcissistic at a time like this.

As she passes by the hall leading to Ethan's room, she considers waking him up to help in the search. In the end she shakes her head and passes the hall, refusing to look at it. He would think her silly, incompetent.

Amy is ashamed enough as it is. An insult made by Ethan would just bring her down to another level.

As she pauses to look down two hallways going in opposite directions, Amy decides the logical place to start looking will be the grand entrance. As all roads lead to Rome, all the halls eventually lead back to the entrance. Amy figures if she does not stumble upon the wandering mistress in the main halls, she will have had the chance to peek in all the halls branching out from the main path.

Now that she thinks of it, Amy realizes that she can map out the whole mansion particularly well, right down to the dead ends and secret passages. Perhaps it is because she paces back and forth the halls every day as chores are finished and new ones arise in different sections of the mansion, perhaps it is because she has always had a rather good memory.

Chiding herself again, Amy's cheeks burn. Why must she be so full of herself? No vanity can hide her defects.

Coming down the familiar hall, Amy finds herself distracted by the doors. Of course she has noticed the numerous doors before - they obviously would not just appear overnight - but Amy hasn't given them much thought. Of course they are all still locked, but how will one open a door if the need arises?