Chapter 23

Erin's POV

I woke up to a chill on my spine.  "Josh turn to heater on will ya?"  I opened my eyes and realized I wasn't in the nice cozy house I now was living in.  I was somewhere different.  I got up and went to the window.  Everything was flat.  You couldn't see anything, there was a highway close by but besides that it was just plains and plains.

"Oh good you're awake.  I was beginning to worry."  I turned and saw the man of my nightmares. 

"Shane where the hell did you take me?"  I asked demanding an answer.  He smiled and held out his hand.  I looked at him shocked.  "You kidnap me and now are asking for me to take your hand?  You are sick!  I just want to go back home, to Josh, to my family!"

"I am your family.  Josh doesn't matter anymore.  You don't have to pretend to love him anymore.  He's gone and I'm back."  He held me close and I tensed. 

"Shane I don't think you seem to understand.  I wasn't pretending.  I love Josh.  We are getting married.  I was shopping for wedding dresses yesterday.  Please Shane just let me go."  I saw his eyes flicker to rage but back to love.

"Erin you don't have to lie anymore.  We both know you were shopping for our wedding.  And if you don't know that I can bring that family here so we can get it into their heads to with a bullet."  I stopped breathing for a minute.  He was going to kill them.

"Okay you're right.  I'm sorry I lied to you.  I love you Shane," the words stung my throat as they came out.  Josh please forgive me.  He kissed me hard and it was all I could do not to throw up right there and then.  "Shane, babe, where are we?  Will you at least tell me that much?"  He smiled and nodded.

"We are far away from Colorado.  We are in Texas.  A little city called Odessa.  No need to worry though.  You will love it here.  Just be careful outside.  I was told that they have a snake problem here."  I closed my eyes trying not to cry.  Texas!  We were in freaking Texas.

"Shane is it okay if I go for a walk.  I wont be far.  I swear.  I just want to meet some of the neighbors.  I'll come right back.  While I'm gone you can make a romantic dinner okay.  Just the two of us."  He smiled and walked me to the front door. 

"Don't be gone to long okay.  Thirty minutes at the most."  I nodded and started walking as soon as I heard the door close I quickened my pace to one of the neighbors.  I knocked loudly on their door and when they answered they didn't look to happy.

"Yes?"  I silently prayed to god a thank you.

"Please help me.  I've been kidnapped by a man named Shane Dungsly.  He's a prison escapee.  If I give you a number will you please call them to tell them I am here.  Please."  The elderly man looked at me for a second and finally nodded.  I gave him Josh's number.  "His name is Josh tell him you know where Erin is.  Please hurry."  I turned as I heard the yelling of my name.

I ran back to Shane trying not to cry.  "What were you and that neighbor talking about?"  He asked and I tried not to scream.

"Oh he was asking me why we moved here.  I told him we were newly weds and that this was our honeymoon.  He found it kind of weird that we would come here of all places but he understood we were just trying to get away from our family."  He smiled and kissed my lips softly. 

"Go get ready for dinner.  Put on something sexy.  Afterwards we are going to have one hell of a night."  I swallowed the lump in my chest and prayed the man would call ASAP.

So yes there it is.  And yes Odessa, Texas is a real place.  That is where I live and it looks just the way I explained.  I know sad right.