IV. THE MISSION GONE WRONG

"BB-8 YOU STAY here and keep an eye out. Alert us if you see any trace of The First Order," Poe instructs the small droid who beeps in a agreement.

Poe climbs over the sand mount surrounding the village, and I follow him.

"So, what am I gonna be doing?"

"Just guarding the goods - me,"

I shake my head as we continue to make our way through the small village. The villagers glare at us, knowing what we could bring with us. Trouble.

The villagers are a rugged bunch, but they look like they could handle themselves. Their eyes are tired and their hands are dirty. People on Jakku tend to have a hard life, but I don't think they pity themselves because of this. 

Poe stops in front of a large, dome shaped hut. He hands me his small blaster, because I haven't been issued one due to my rookie status. Its lightweight and looks well used. 

"You know how to use one of these?" 

"I grew up shooting cans with one of these, Dameron," 

He furrows his brow. "Stop making me feel old," 

I laugh and fiddle with the settings on my quadnoculars, readying myself to be on the lookout for anything out of the ordinary. "So, I'll stay here and keep an eye out, BB-8 will be by the ship doing the same thing, and you'll be doing... whatever Leia wanted you to do," 

"She didn't tell you about why we're here?" 

I shake my head, Poe just smirks and raises an eyebrow, almost confused as to why Leia didn't tell me about the mission. He shakes the thought and opens the tattered curtain, entering the hut. I catch a glimpse of the old man inside, who seems to look at me as if he's seen me before. The curtain slowly goes back to how it was, and I lean back on the hut, beginning to scour the land through my quadnoculars. Because of the lack of technology in the area, it should be easy to spot a ship. The villagers continue to glare at me as I listen in on Poe and the man's conversation, continuously monitoring the surroundings. 

"This will begin to make things right. I traveled too far and seen too much to ignore the despair in the galaxy. Without the Jedi, there can be no balance in the Force." 

"Because of you, now we have a chance. The General has been after this for a long time," 

I tune out momentarily, trying to decipher what they're talking about. No one spoke about the Jedi much anymore. They've been gone for so long its hard to know if they were ever real or not. Hell, my Dad told me stories of the Jedi and the Force when I was ten and I wouldn't sleep. He said my grandfather was one of them, but I don't know if this was true or not. I still don't know if I believe the Jedi were real at all.

"Who is the young woman you've brought with you?" 

I raise an eyebrow, my interest in the conversation peaked again. 

"That's Kitana Yexley, she's quite a talented p-" 

"Is she related to Khan Yexley?" 

I turn around and pull back the curtain, Poe looking like his usual confused self, the old man composed. 

"Khan Yexley was my grandfather," 

The man smiles  - I'm still unsure of his name - and he seems to analyse my features. "I knew him quite well, he fought valiantly during the clone wars. A shame he had to hide his true self during his later years,"

I sit down next to Poe, completely baffled but what this man has just told me. My Grandfather died when I was 13, I knew him as well as any granddaughter would know her grandfather. But never had I been told of him fighting in the clone wars. Sure, there was the bedtime stories about him but never did I actually think they might have been true. I'm glad I've sat down.